Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mrs. Lockjaw and I were discussing this over lunch. I'm sure there are gradations of everyone's unique definitions. When I first got here I thought y'all were out of your minds. Anyway, is it anything you add to your bike? Just fun stuff? Is an EM doohickey a farkle? Is a sticker? Luggage? The master cylinder cover I just put on?

I guess to me it is anything you add on that improves functionality or looks. Any differing opinions? Just curious. My wife thinks we're all insane. But she does think there is a difference between a farkle and an upgrade. She says "farkles are for fun". But that would mean a fork brace is not a farkle....or is it.

These are the big Q's amigos.

:16a:

·
Registered
272 Posts
just what is 'farkle'?

I have been working on motorcycles for my livelyhood since the early 1970's.
I have owned literally hundreds of motorcycles.
I had never heard of farkle, until I was working on a customer's KLR a couple years ago, or was it a DR, or a KLX, or a DRZ? Some kinda dualsport bike (with farkle). the rider was very proud of this farkle thing but could not explain the term. I found his farkle items to be a bit hokey, cumbersome and useless as far as being functional.
And I thought it was an odd term. One day I asked another klr guy what the term meant and where it came from; he explained to me it was the combo of the words: function and sparkle. (Thanks Mr. bfcasey for the enlightenment).
Now to me only the 'F' comes from function, the rest of the word comes from sparkle. I am not a sparkle kinda rider.
I am a function kinda rider. maybe a better term from my point of view might be 'funkle'. that splits the words better, but it is too funky, farkle is funky too though.
In my humble opinion sparkle is for posers. function is for riders, and riders ride. posers.....
each to their own.
let's ride.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. Here is my final thought...for now. ;)

Mod = something you modified...airbox/carb mods, etc
Farkle = something you add to the bike (esp. for aesthetic reasons that are at least somewhat functional)
Upgrade = something you changed out for a better version

Thanks for your input fellas. Interesting that we have different definitions...I figured. Keeps things interesting. :16a:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Whew...

I thought I might of been a poser for a minute. But I looked at my bike, and realized that I am a upgrader!

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn upgraders... :)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Wow very interesting if i do say so :character00271:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mrs. Lockjaw here. I agree with Metalbender!! Hi Mark!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My bike isn't pretty, it's been upgraded in places and even the frame no longer sparkles. If it's not helping me tackle the terrain better it's probably been taken off or fallen off the bike. So I guess my KLR is fun-graded (functionally upgraded)! LOL

Why wash your bike? Isn't that what deep water crossings are for?:)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't get why anyone still has a problem with what farkle means. What it stands for was established when the word was coined. Why try to redefine it, that makes no sense. It's just a silly word that means anything added to the bike, why such an effort to undo that? Upgrades are considered farkles because they aren't stock parts simple as that. If somebody asks what farkles you have, would you not mention that upgraded part? Mods are clearly not farkles if you manipulate, but not replace a stock part.

This reminds of the "define dualsport" thread where dualsport was being redefined to be the same as an enduro.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wanderer...meanings of words change over time depending on their usage. I like words. Just a little exercise in futility and humor. I think everyone gets what it means...it just interests me that not everyone was on exactly the page. That's all.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Well i must say farkle sparkle funtion funkle kleuntion tionkle the fun that can be had over a word. I have been intertained.:character00271:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts