Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had or heard any experience with using one of these air filters on a KLR?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've always been told to avoid K and N air filters for dirt use. I know they say that they filter better, and I have nothing to back up the non-use thoughts, but the concern was the high amount of very fine dirt, and it getting past the screen of a K and N..

I have no idea if it's a wives tale or not, but I just use UNI filters.. I know the inside of them is clean when I take them off to clean them after a lot of dirt use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have one on my bike and have found that get dirty a lot faster and need to be cleaned more often. I am thinking about switching to a Uni.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have had a K & N on my bike since I bought my bike in 04. I have had no problems at all. I pull it and clean it when needed, if I am going to be in a really dirty area I wrap it with stocking first.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I have one on my 05 and have had no issues. I helped my brother do the 22 cent mod this past summer on his 08 and he tried to put a new K&N on it at the same time but it would not run. It would start and idle but any throttle imput would kill it. We thought we messed something up with the mixture screw or needle washers and slide drill out. Had us scratching our heads for a while untill we figured out that it was the filter. We even washed and re oiled it and it didnt make any difference. Put the stock filter back in and it ran great. Go figure?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Been using one for 8K miles no problem. Try to stay in front and dust isnt that bad. When I get stuck eating dust for a few hundred miles I will clean sooner than later.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had no problems with mine (k&n) but I took it out and put a new no-toil in it to see what the hype was about. No difference to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts