Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
November 23 is the date. Another month of on the edge of your seat anticipation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh shoot. I thought October. Guess I better have afternoon nap. Up all night in anticipation. Lol

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
I can't help but wonder if they will make this announcement on the 23rd, only to say that the bikes will be in dealerships by next April. Normally, I should hope that whatever fabulous wonders are under the covers will make it to the Long Beach show but it looks like there will be no 2020 show due to Teh COVID.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
Not a Kawasaki, but when I was in the Yamaha dealer down the street the other day I was surprised to see they had a new Tenere 700 on their showroom floor. This isn't exactly the country for that kind of motorcycle.

I found myself thinking it certainly wouldn't be a suitable "replacement" for the standard 650 thumper dualsport. It's a very big and tall bike and I think they come in at over 450 pounds. It's a lot of motorcycle. I wouldn't want to ride one either off road or down the highway for too many miles but it's probably a great gravel/dirt road machine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the Ténéré quite naked looking? How about you?Although i have gen 2 and getting used to wind protection they offer.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
I found the Ténéré quite naked looking? How about you?Although i have gen 2 and getting used to wind protection they offer.
Yes, I would agree. I don't see how you could call it an "adventure bike." While it has a long seat, it has no luggage rack at all and, as far as I can see, limited aftermarket sources for pannier/bag racks. The Dakar-based windshield seems quite vestigial. I don't know though. I suppose you could find a way to carry stuff on it. If I was heading off on a true "adventure" ride, I'd choose it over the big Tenere any day. I just can't figure out what kind of riders would buy one. They're relatively cheap: less than 10K I think. Still way, way too heavy for any kind of offroad pursuits if you ask me, though and the seat height at almost 35 inches is pretty stratospheric. It just seems like a very odd offering. I guess time will tell how successful it is. To me, "adventure bike" equals "you can carry at least a moderate amount of stuff on it."

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
14 Posts
The real question is if the rumors of a gen 3 KLR will become true...and even scarier, for the legend to ruined with a fuel injected twin just to compete with the super tenere ....I guess the versys doesn't exist.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
I stand corrected. You can buy left and right Yamaha side cases for $519 apiece. That seems pretty much in line with standard costs for such a factory addition with other motorcycles.

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
My understanding of the quality of the Yamaha luggage they put on the Super Tenere was that it was pretty crappy stuff and was nowhere near worth the cost. Costs like Jesse, performs like Shamrock Farms.

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
...the legend to ruined with a fuel injected twin just to compete with the super tenere...
I don't think it will be done just to compete with the Tenere. There's pretty much zero chance of a single passing European smog requirement and even less chance of a carbureted engine doing so. Any engine is going to have to be an EFI twin or it's a non-starter. Kawasaki has to be able to introduce to the most restrictive market in order to build to economies of scale or it will be prohibitive to introduce. They need to be able to get whatever is hiding under the blankie into the worldwide market for the next 20 years or until Gavin "Whether You Like It or Not" Newsom becomes Emperor of the World and mandates vehicles that run solely on pixie dust or whatever has been blown up his butt by that time.

Frankly, I don't think an EFI single or a carburetted multi would pass US standards, either.

I've also been pretty skeptical that Kawasaki is going to introduce a new KLR. It doesn't seem logical that they'd step on their dick so hard that they'd take it off the market for a few years, then bring it back after having lost ground to, at the very least, Yamaha. They are in the business of making their money by designing, building, marketing, and selling motorsickles. For them, building anticipation and intrigue in the market is a poor substitute for making money. Hope is not a plan. Prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. We'll see. I've been wrong before, plenty.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
14 Posts
I don't think it will be done just to compete with the Tenere. There's pretty much zero chance of a single passing European smog requirement and even less chance of a carbureted engine doing so. Any engine is going to have to be an EFI twin or it's a non-starter. Kawasaki has to be able to introduce to the most restrictive market in order to build to economies of scale or it will be prohibitive to introduce. They need to be able to get whatever is hiding under the blankie into the worldwide market for the next 20 years or until Gavin "Whether You Like It or Not" Newsom becomes Emperor of the World and mandates vehicles that run solely on pixie dust or whatever has been blown up his butt by that time.

Frankly, I don't think an EFI single or a carburetted multi would pass US standards, either.

I've also been pretty skeptical that Kawasaki is going to introduce a new KLR. It doesn't seem logical that they'd step on their dick so hard that they'd take it off the market for a few years, then bring it back after having lost ground to, at the very least, Yamaha. They are in the business of making their money by designing, building, marketing, and selling motorsickles. For them, building anticipation and intrigue in the market is a poor substitute for making money. Hope is not a plan. Prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. We'll see. I've been wrong before, plenty.
Well that was a good laugh lol, but well said. I definitely see concern for emissions but then again, has the market changed that much in just 3-4 years since the latest model was deemed fit for sale? I don't follow the actual legislation to know any better, but what I do know is if on the relatively slim chance that KHI does release a new gen KLR that is one or more of these things described above, I think it would be pretty much unanimously pooped on by the KLR community. On a side note, out of curiosity, what about a fuel injected single makes emissions more of a problem than a fuel injected twin?

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
@Matt.Thompson,

I have no concrete knowledge here, but...

It has long been said that there was some sort of grandfathering of the KLR (and the DR and the XR, I guess) that allowed them to continue to be built and sold, while being not necessarily in compliance with the current emissions standards. They did get kicked out of South America and the EU a while back for non-compliance. In truth, the '18 is still in the Kawasaki lineup and for sale anywhere it was being sold in '18, as far as I know. I've no idea if they are still making them, but do question if, some nearly three years on, they could possibly be running off of leftovers. Perhaps they built a lot of them for the '18 model year knowing that they were going to quit making them. As I said above, I thought KHI was smarter than that.

An EFI single can be made to comply with emissions regulations, but it is much easier with two or more smaller cylinders than with one large one. One large one tends to distort more and consumes more oil. High RPM makes horsepower on a leaner ratio than low RPM makes the same amount of horsepower; twins spin. My '72 CB350 made the same horsepower as the KLR does, but it spun twice as fast to do it. Making horsepower more efficiently makes for fewer emissions. Hey, let's face it, the KLR's fuel economy is not a whole lot greater than my Forester's, and my Forester is the official High-Speed-Racing Police Interceptor model. I have an emblem that says so.

We're not talking too much about torque here and twins don't make the torque that singles do, but if you get a twin making 100hp/l the torque will come along for the ride.

There are more reasons why low emissions are harder with a single, but you get the idea, I think.

·
Registered
2017 KLR650
14 Posts
Yes, on the topic of whether or not KHI still manufactures the 2018 models, I too can't say for sure but I have asked 2 dealers and both said what they have is all they will ever have (who knows, sounded to be enough info to me at the time of asking). But yes lol, I do get the idea and I appreciate the free class! It is an interesting concept that single's make more torque than multi cylinder alternatives, and it makes perfect sense. If only my KLR had a badge that said anything at all about speed.

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
You can get one of those badges that say Police Interceptor for your KLR, too. They are only about $8.
From a bang-for-your buck standpoint, they are the best power mod going.

My Forester gets a lot more respect now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess this is where we place our bets? They throw in that old KLX 650 lump into a KLR frame and FI it. Call it a day, they are busy building big stuff at KHI.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
The sad part is that one run of a cargo ship carrying flat screen tv's, cell phones and gaming devices from China or the ROK to the US probably spews out more emissions than have all carbureted motorcycles operated in America over the last 50 years.

"South Korea's STX shipyard says it has designed a ship to carry 22,000 shipping containers that would be 450 meters long and there are already 3,693 new ship builds on the books for ocean going vessels over 150 meters in length due over the next three years. The amount of air pollution just these new ships will put out when launched is equal to having another 29 billion cars on the roads."

1 - 20 of 50 Posts