Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
The sad part is that one run of a cargo ship carrying flat screen tv's, cell phones and gaming devices from China or the ROK to the US probably spews out more emissions than have all carbureted motorcycles operated in America over the last 50 years.

"South Korea's STX shipyard says it has designed a ship to carry 22,000 shipping containers that would be 450 meters long and there are already 3,693 new ship builds on the books for ocean going vessels over 150 meters in length due over the next three years. The amount of air pollution just these new ships will put out when launched is equal to having another 29 billion cars on the roads."

No need for alarm.

One political party platform vows to ELIMINATE all "fossil fuels" (however . . . in the United States only).

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
Well, according to Doom Pixie Greta and Leonardo DiCaprio we'll all be dead in 12 years anyway so I guess there's no need to worry about it.........

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Well, Greta, at least, used wind-power to sail (as a passenger) from Europe to America. Diesel-powered yacht back to Europe, but . . . guess she already made her point.

Why not return to WHALING, to save the planet? Whale oil represents RENEWABLE ENERGY, and whaling ships could be wind-powered as in days of yore, environmentally correct.
Charge your electric motorcycle or automobile batteries with power from whale-oil fired electric power plants. Use whale-oil lamps, if you want to read at night.

What about those, "Save The Whales!" vegetarian pirate wannabes seen on TV attacking Japanese whaling ships and their crews in polar seas? Let 'em be; just . . . in fairness, allow them sail power only for their attack vessels.

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
“Forester” and “respect” in the same sentence is an oxymoron.;)
Except in places where there is a need for a decent, all-weather vehicle. Subaru, specifically the Outback, sells rather well in the PNW and Colorado. Number one, I believe. My Forester is a '14. My wife's' Outback is an '18.

My Forester is not my daughter's '19 Grand Cherokee, but still performs very well off-road. I've had opposite corners in the air and made forward progress, uphill, with one front wheel and one rear wheel. The AWD was non-plussed.

Have you ever driven X-Mode?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Except in places where there is a need for a decent, all-weather vehicle. Subaru, specifically the Outback, sells rather well in the PNW and Colorado. Number one, I believe. My Forester is a '14. My wife's' Outback is an '18.
You corroborate a statement posted on ADV; in a ride report from a local (VA) who visited Portland, OR:

"Subarus are not just for lesbians any more!"

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've owned two Subarus, including one of the first 4WDs (no, it was NOT "AWD") on the east coast.

Still respecting the brand, don't get the "Love" in their TV ads. May have cost 'em a sale! :giggle:

·
Registered
333 Posts

My Forester is not my daughter's '19 Grand Cherokee, but still performs very well off-road. I've had opposite corners in the air and made forward progress, uphill, with one front wheel and one rear wheel. The AWD was non-plussed.

Have you ever driven X-Mode?
X-mode? Uh huh. In my 2009 Avalanche. Towing a trailer. Try that in a Subie-doo!

And as for top selling all weather vehicles, Subarus aren’t even close. Think F-150, closely followed by other domestic pickup trucks. Although i agree they are rather popular in the Pathetic NorthWet. At least in the cities. Outside the Seattle and Portland reality distortion zones, pickups rule. Likewise in Colorado.

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
Whooosh!
Plonk.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
On a side note, out of curiosity, what about a fuel injected single makes emissions more of a problem than a fuel injected twin?
I agree with Matt.

I would like anyone to explain to me how the Brand New BMW R1800 twin with a pair of 900 cc cylinders could be any cleaner running than a single cylinder of 900cc or less!

·
Administrator
8,597 Posts
I don't think that is the right comparison. Shouldn't the question be "How can the 1800 twin be cleaner than an 1800 single?"

The idea is that it is easier to control all the forms of emissions that are of concern with multiple cylinders than it is with a single cylinder. I think that would be within certain constraints, though. For example, it might be true that a 650 twin or triple is easier to make clean than a 650 single, but going to a four or a six 12 cylinder doesn't necessarily make for more improvement.

And, while a 650 twin might be easier to make clean than a 650 single, it may not hold true that a 250 twin would be easier to make clean than a 250 single.

It would seem reasonable that there are diminishing returns with added complexity and reduced size. Which, interestingly, are the two features that make big singles so attractive! They are big and simple.

One example of how it is easier is that a large diameter cylinder is more prone to distortion under operating conditions than a smaller cylinder is. This is because a smaller pipe is radially stiffer than a larger pipe. This makes it easier to control 'blow-by' (I use that loosely and mean blow-by of everything, in both directions, i.e. combustion gases into the crankcase and oil into the combustion chamber). I'm not sure how, or how much, over-square, square, or under-square plays into this.

I think that it may be easier to create beneficial intake and exhaust characteristics with more pulses per revolution, too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Counterpoint: KTM/Husky, BMW, and others are building new thumpers, so it must not be too much harder to build single cylinder bikes that meet emission requirements.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Counterpoint: KTM/Husky, BMW, and others are building new thumpers, so it must not be too much harder to build single cylinder bikes that meet emission requirements.
That's exactly my point.

Two separate 900cc cylinders breathing out thru 2 separate exhaust pipes and air cooled to boot should not be easier to build cleaner in air emissions than a 650 / 750 / 900cc liquid-cooled single. Something else must be written in the EPA regulations to explain "the how & why".

Maybe BMW is going to make & market less than 5000 units per year of this particular model to be exempted from the most current emissions regulations like Harley Davidson did in the past (maybe they still do?). Did you ever think to wonder 'why?' HD had so many models of the same model?

Did you ever think to wonder why some of the smaller manufactures run out of a particular model seemingly early in a season?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Ok guys you hear any rumours? Got to be leaked by now!!
Rumours? You want RUMOURS?

Try this; observe, contemplate, consider the SECOND ROW, showing shrouded machines, scheduled for January 26th (or whatever) release of FIVE (5, count 'em 5) additional vehicles to those due out on November 23):

Look closely at the SECOND row; could be a couple of motorcycles there (besides some side-by-sides, maybe).

So, if the KLR650 does not, "ride again," on November 20, the vehicle may appear in January. Take hope!

(I see the skeleton for a Monty Python movie script, "In Search Of The Holy KLR650.")

·
Registered
333 Posts
I heard a rumor:

it will have a water-cooled 90-degree V-twin (doesn’t need counterbalances) with pushrod actuated valves, to keep the motor short and low. Bore=stroke, 2 valves per cylinder to keep the combustion chamber tight with large squish zones with maybe 2 spark plugs. Port fuel injection to save cost instead of DI. CR=11:1. 65 HP. No need for high RPM power on an adventure bike, better to go for low RPM torque. Optional kick-starter.

Frame will be perimeter 4120 steel tubes to resist off road damage (or on-road!). Radiator sits inside perimeter frame for crash protection. Replaceable skid plate bolted solidly to frame as part of the structure. Showa 49mm forks with gas cartridges, but normal fork/sliders orientation with rubber gaiters to resist stone damage. 24 liter polyethylene tank that is wide enough, with knee cutouts, to act as a lower fairing and crash protection for the engine and radiator. Primary tank under seat with additional fuel in the conventional top tank. One-piece upper fairing also made of polyethylene to resist damage, with integrated LED headlight bar with dynamic cornering lights. One-piece adjustable windshield made of polycarbonate to resist damage.

Rear subframe designed to accept panniers without needing a separate mounting frame. Also acts as crash bars when panniers are not mounted. Wide seat with adjustable heights. Adjustable foot peg height and fore-aft position. Muffler flat and tucked in tight so the right pannier doesn’t stick out further than the left. Really bright LED taillights and turn signal/running lights.

Electronic nannies: LED screen with instruments to include oil pressure, coolant temperature, voltage, fuel level, ride modes. Selectable ride modes, traction control, ABS. Dedicated mounting, power, and Bluetooth interface to iPhone. 50 Amp alternator with LiFePo battery.

Dry weight with oil, 160kg (350 lbs).
Price: $7999.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts