Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in St. Louis the actual temperature was 108. Riding in that kind of heat kinda feels like when you first open your oven to check on whatever you're baking.

What are some ways one can keep cool while on the bike in these kinds of temperatures?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I feel ya. 104 here in Rolla (100 miles west, south west of St. Louis).

I rode today. It has been my experience that there is no such thing as a pleasant stop light. I found that I was okay during the commute today when I was moving.

One thing I personally find (from my days as a runner and as a motorcyclist) is that my tolerance to temperatures changes with the seasons...in winter I drive down to 10 degrees. I'd probably start sweating in an 80 degree room.

In the summer, 50 is really cold, ect.

So perhaps the solution is to become a roofer for a month? :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the whole ATGATT thing but is it cooler to ride without the gear in this heat or does wearing a mesh jacket keep you cooler while moving because the sun isn't directly on your skin?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Vented mesh summer jackets are great! I wear mine all the time. No sun to speak of reaches my skin.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks spec. What summer configuration do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Today in St. Louis the actual temperature was 108. Riding in that kind of heat kinda feels like when you first open your oven to check on whatever you're baking.

What are some ways one can keep cool while on the bike in these kinds of temperatures?
I hear 'ya. I had to give up my commute for awhile because I have to wear a polyester uniform: by the time I even got halfway there, both it and I would be soaked.

I won't ride without gear, so it's back to the Toyota to get to work for awhile until it cools off. I'll still ride otherwise, tho.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I weat Firstgear MeshTex jacket and pants. While not like wearing nothing, it is hands down much more comfortable than non-mesh. Wore it last summer on the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail... Get you mind out of the gutter!) with temps in the humid 90*'s and was much more comfortable than a friend wearing a MX armor vest and jersey.

One thing to keep in mind when wearing mesh is that you dehydrate faster due to the wind blowing past you skin. Hydrate or die my friends!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I use mesh jacket and pants when it's hot.. Also an Aerostich Evapodana, which I keep wet and let the dampness evaporate to help cool..

I've got a big heat test coming up next week. I bought a Triumph down in central Florida and I'm riding it home. I've already shipped my gear down, but what I shipped and what I think I might wear aren't the same.. I shipped my Aerostich Darien jacket and my Olympia pants.. While the jacket and pants are well vented, I think I'm going to take my mesh jacket and pants with me when I fly down.
The bike has both large saddlebags and a large top box, so I'll keep all the gear with me and swap as needed.. Or not.. :)

I can always ship what I don't want back home, too.. Since my clothing consists of nothing more than t-shirts, motorcycling shorts, and socks, I'll have some extra space..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
LD Comfort undergarments. Keep you cool or warm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have about a 15 minute commute myself. I got a good deal on a Firstgear Mesh jacket. Bad thing is it get's a bit hot sitting still, but on the highway it vents awesome. I felt like I was going overboard with it, thinking "it's not that far to work." So, I went with out it today. I could tell a difference in the afternoon when the air was hot and the sun was hitting my arms. I see a lot of guys riding around without sleaves, and I did it today, but the thought of sliding across the pavement at 70 MPH and the t-shirt mode not being much better. It got me thinking, "Ah what the heck, wear it. It's not that far to work!"

Edit: If I was to buy one new I would go with white. :) Mine's black. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did buy a cooling vest today. I'll see how it works this week and let you all know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts