Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys that put these things on is there a direction they are supposed to rotation directionor can they be put on either way? I don't see any arrows on the tire. Also is there a particular place or way to place these things on the rim? Foe example is there a spot on the tire that is supposed to line up with something on the rim?

thanks

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
thumbs -

I thought that there was a rotational arrow on the sidewall, 'cuz if there wasn't I would have been stumped, too.

As far as orientation, I have allways followed the convention that the brand/description (in this case "Kenda K761") goes where the valve stem is.

We have done that on bicycles for about 100 years and it has worked very well, so there ya go. I can offer no other reason for it than it looks good and I've always done it that way.

I found, though, that I had to add a bit of weight (more than the weight that came with the stock tire) on the front wheel to balance it. You could go to the trouble of mounting and remounting the tire around the rim until you find the point of best balance if you cared overly much about such things. I didn't bother with balancing on the rear wheel.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom

I'll check again. I am gettin ready to change it now. These are 270's but my guess is it's the same.

Hey I'm gonna check the balence on the rear anyway. Have you had much luck using the axle between a couple of jack stands? I know you didn't do the rear but will it work pretty well?

I have heard of people changing the rotation of the front tire to counter the cupping. Didn't know if the rear was the same since so far I didn't see the arrow.

thanks

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
DOH!

I did it again...

You said 270, I thought 761 because that's the last tire I installed. This getting old crap ain't for sissies, I tell ya.

The K270s are unidirectional.

The jackstand method will work just fine - I have a little bit different set up, as I have a Park truing stand for bicycle wheels. I use it to balance the motorcycle wheels just because it's there.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I hear ya. Ya gotta be strong to get old. I'm with ya. LOL

Hey no problem. I looked at the tread it looked symectrical and I still didn't see an arrow so I put it on. I put the white stamp thing next to the valve stem. I put the axle on a couple of jackstands. I was suprised how far out it was. I mean way out. I broke the tire down again and rotated it 180* and it was a lot better. I used two 54cal round ball to ballance er out. I drilled a hole in the ball and slit it to the hole with a band saw and put it over the spoke and crimped it as tight as I could. I think shes about perfect. Never lands in the same place twice and when she stops she stops. Before it would stop change direction and stop in the same place. Gotta figure a way to make sure the weight stay put. I may take em off and weigh them and get "a real" weight for the spoke.

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
thumbs -

That's really clever! Wish I'd thought of it, though I don't have anything bigger than .50 cal round ball.

I have a couple hundred pounds of lead and a Lee pot, though.

Wonder if I could make a crude mold that would fit my RCBS handles....

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on how much weight you need just put three or four .50's on the spokes. I would put two per spoke though. Also you could get a lead sinker for fishing and hammer it into a shape you want then trim to get the weight that works.

I went to the bike shop to see how much real spoke weights are and decided to keep what I have. They wanted 27 bucks for a bag of weights and they were all the same size. Na I'll keep what I have. Heck if I run out of ammo while deer hunting I'll just take a weight off the spoke. LOL

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
great idea as far as holding pace a good zip tie around spoke just above it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a good idea about the zip tie. I was thinkin the spoke might be a bit slick for a zip tie but a drop of super glue to help the zip tie may work great. Thanks for the idea.

So far a piece of gorilla tape is doin well but I really haven't been out on any rough stuff since I put it on. I think either way would work. The zip tie may look a little better though. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts