Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to debate between the Kenda K761, Shinko 705, or the Shinko 244... for my 2008 KLR. I plan on doing a 70/30 on/off-road mix. The majority of off-road won't be difficult. I just wasn't sure if the 705 or K761's would handle goo enough off-road?

I like the street oriented tirer, but will they perform off-road in almost any condition (besides mud and deep/loose gravel)? Or would I be safer with the Shinko 244, keeping it under 70mph?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I just got back from Moab and after nearly 2000 miles of slab and 500 miles of DS riding in Moab and I can tell you that the Shinko 705 is up to the task. I won't tell you it's the ultimate offroad tire because it's not but it certainly did a commendable job on the Moab turf. Take a look at where I went with them. http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,16859.0/

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Awesome! Welcome back. Beautiful country.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am trying to debate between the Kenda K761, Shinko 705, or the Shinko 244... for my 2008 KLR. I plan on doing a 70/30 on/off-road mix. The majority of off-road won't be difficult. I just wasn't sure if the 705 or K761's would handle goo enough off-road?

I like the street oriented tirer, but will they perform off-road in almost any condition (besides mud and deep/loose gravel)? Or would I be safer with the Shinko 244, keeping it under 70mph?

I've be through several sets of 761s and one back 705. Both are fine for dirt roads and moderate dry trials. I went back to the Kendas after trying the Shinkos because I get better mileage with them and they're cheaper!

I've run the 244s but went back to the 761s because for me i didn't gain off-road performance and they wore out faster. The 244's do feel better than Kenda 270s. The Kendas have a squirmy feel that some people never adjust to.

Don't worry about riding fast with more aggressive tires. Even something like Dunlop 606s are fine at speed, noisy but secure. Seriously unless you're scraping pegs you can ride them like a pure street tire, you'll chew through them fast on the street though.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The Kendas have a squirmy feel that some people never adjust to.
By Kenda, I'm pretty sure Spec is referring to the 270's.. I'm one who hated that tire on the pavement!! But if someone were riding gravel all the time, it's a digger!! Pavement, it feels like the tire's flat, and the rear end shifts around in every corner.. I hated the tire so much, I didn't ride my KLR much last year because of the Kenda 270's that were on it..

Installed the 761's about a month ago and I'm actually enjoying my KLR again!!:)

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Damn. I just bought some 270's to try when my 761 wears out. Haven't mounted them yet. I don't need squirm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any advice if either of these are better for a mix of dessert-type loose dirt? Or of they will all be equally unstable?

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. It helps.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Any advice if either of these are better for a mix of dessert-type loose dirt? Or of they will all be equally unstable?

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. It helps.
I think neither would be good for loose stuff.. If you're going to ride in that and want a DOT legal tire, kick around going to a Pirelli MT21 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/392/5416/ITEM/Pirelli-MT-21-Rallycross-Rear-Tire.aspx They're more expensive and won't last much more than 3000 miles, but they'll get you where you want to go, and they're not bad on the street, too.:)

I had a set on my old Honda XR650L and they did really well.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
FYI, I have found that the K270 Kenda is very, very air sensitive. A buddy has a K270 on a DR 650 right now. He finds that about 28 lbs in the rear tire does away with most of the squirrelly behavior on pavement. I played with it a bit Saturday, going from about 35 lbs in the tire, gradually dropping down to 25 lbs, and the air pressures did effect asphalt handling dramatically. Still not a desirable ride for me, it did help stabilize the bike, enough so that the tire didn't distract from the ride.

There are too many variables for anyone to recommend the "perfect tire". What worked Saturday on semi-moist trails and dry asphalt may not be worth a tinkers dam the next day on the same surfaces following a hard rain. A lot of trail success has to do with the rider being able to manipulate the bike with the tires it has on it. Meaning, you can't buy your way into a higher skill level. That requires hours in the seat. Any of the tires you mentioned will be more than adequate for entry level, "won't be difficult" trail riding a noob will encounter. The Shinko 244 front and rear will get you up and down "won't be difficult" trails, allow you to stick to any asphalt situation you will encounter. I have over 30,000 miles on the 244's, running at 75 MPH for considerable distances, with no issues. Keep in mind, knobby type tires are prone to chunking. They sometimes throw knobs, regardless of amount spent or manufacturer. Shinko will stand behind their tires 100% if you throw a knob. Their warranty is second to none. Regardless of wear, age or miles, if you have a Shinko tire fail for a manufacturing defect, they will replace the tire at no cost to you. Short of supplying you with a chase vehicle, it does not get much better than that. The best news is, I have never needed to make a warranty claim. As far as longevity, I am averaging 6500 miles out of a rear 244 tire, with some "meat" left. They are too cheap to run down to the cords. I did just remove a 244 front tire that has 14,000 miles on it. Never balanced. Thats a lot for a tire I spent less than 25 bucks for.

And I don't travel light.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've run the 244s but went back to the 761s because for me i didn't gain off-road performance and they wore out faster. The 244's do feel better than Kenda 270s. The Kendas have a squirmy feel that some people never adjust to.
Hmmm... I've had stock and D606's on my '08 and recently put a set of Shinko 244's on. I felt that the Shinkos feel squirmy to me, at least compared to the D606's (I can't remember the stock K750's anymore). At speed, they seem fine, but at very low speeds, I can't get it to track straigh and feel like I'm all over the place. The feel like the sidewalls are soft and probably are compared to a D606.

Other than the noise of the D606, they did well for me. Right at 5000 miles on 2 sets and I never felt like they didn't hold traction.

I probably won't go with a Shinko 244 again even though the price is very attractive.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hmmm... I've had stock and D606's on my '08 and recently put a set of Shinko 244's on. I felt that the Shinkos feel squirmy to me, at least compared to the D606's (I can't remember the stock K750's anymore). At speed, they seem fine, but at very low speeds, I can't get it to track straigh and feel like I'm all over the place. The feel like the sidewalls are soft and probably are compared to a D606.

Other than the noise of the D606, they did well for me. Right at 5000 miles on 2 sets and I never felt like they didn't hold traction.

I probably won't go with a Shinko 244 again even though the price is very attractive.
What air pressures are you running in the 244's?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
As vatrader said any of these three tires will get you where you want to go. The 705 and 761 are more road oriented but perform reasonably well in most offroad conditions when aired down. If the offroad riding you do tends to be a little more knarly or say you live in the Pacific Northwet, a more knobby tire would be more suitable.
Tire choice really boils down to:
1-How do you ride your bike? Aggressive?
2- what type of surface do spend the most time on? asphalt, F.S. dirt roads, singletrack, mud, sand?
3-What compromises are you willing to make in your tire choice? Are you willing to give up peg scraping corning on asphalt for more offroad traction? Are you willing to give up some offroad traction for a more comfortable, quiet pavement oriented tire?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What air pressures are you running in the 244's?
I've run and mix f/b of 33, 28 and 24. I don't want to run too low as I've read about knobs chunking off these tires at low pressure on highway rides.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1-How do you ride your bike? Aggressive?
2- what type of surface do spend the most time on? asphalt, F.S. dirt roads, singletrack, mud, sand?
3-What compromises are you willing to make in your tire choice? Are you willing to give up peg scraping corning on asphalt for more offroad traction? Are you willing to give up some offroad traction for a more comfortable, quiet pavement oriented tire?
I am more of a beginning DS rider, so probably not all that agressive.

I am sure I will spend the majority of my time on the street. But being in central Oregon, there is slot of loose dirt. Which I am guessing just about anything will be slick/sqirmy on that kinda stuff.
I guess it's hard to figure out if I need a little more traction or not. I am sure the street oriented ones will feel much nicer.

I do like what I hear about Shinko warranty policy though. If they stand behind it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just hate trying to pick a tire for this bike - so many choices.

My bike came with some Dunlop 80/20 tires that scared the hell out of me over 65mps.

I switched them to a IRC 50/50 - which is better on the road but gave it up a bit in the soft dirt.

My problem in Salt Lake is you have to ride 30 miles or more on roads, sometimes being freeways, to get to the good dirt trails. I feel the front IRC tire jump a bit on me at high speeds.

The question is what would I loose by running a more road tire on the front - like the Kenda 761, with a little more action on the back tire - like the Shinko 244.

Would this fix the "jumping" problem while still getting me around good on the dirt? I just have to eat the fact it will wear out quicker?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kenda K761 review

Here's a post for all people looking to buy the Kenda K761. I've detailed the good and bad on my blog. I like the rear tire but not a big fan of the front tire. Check it out, I hope it helps you with your decision. //klr650reviews.com/2010/07/17/kenda-k761-dual-sport-rear-tire-review/

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Great blog review!
One thing you might try is increasing your road pressures.. I'm currently running 35f / 38r and have a bit over 3,000 miles on my set.. Around this time I'm noticing that I'm just on the edge of losing that center spot on the rear tire, but from what I've seen from others, there's still tons of rubber left after that's gone, and it's far from being a wear indicator.

I too felt them to be a bit slippery for the first 100 or so miles, but since have been able to really push lean angles without any feeling of washing out while road riding..

I haven't done any loose gravel or dirt riding, but just regular gravel road riding at street pressure, I've found it to be as good as any of the other tires in this 70/30 to 80/20 catagory.

Over the 4th of July extended weekend I racked up 1400 miles on the KLR and did a mix of everything from hardpack dirt to Interstate riding, and loved the tire!!

Oddly enough, I didn't ride my KLR much last year because I had a set of Kenda K270's on it and absolutely hated road riding on the tire! Squirmy, loud, and there was never a feeling of comfort, unless I was on loose stuff, which is what that tire's made for. This year I have the K761's and really love riding the KLR again!!

The only issue I've found is the same as others.. It's not on par with a Michelin Anakee when it comes to wet riding. I'm always careful when on wet roads anyway, and this tire isn't changing that riding.. The Anakee's silica compound works great in wet, but then again, a rear Anakee costs more than a entire set of the 761's!! Shipped!!

I'm hard on tires.. I brake hard with the front and I accelerate hard with the rear, and tend to wear tires out a bit sooner than others.. Right now, with 3,000 miles on them, the rear is still round and isn't flattening out in the center, and I put a lot of that on the fact of running the higher pressure (and loving the cornering feel of these tires):)

I don't know if I'll wear these out before the end of the year (3 other bikes to ride) but will do my best and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of finishing mileage I can get out of them, safely.

·
Registered
522 Posts
VA Trader,

Tell me a bit more about the Skinko 244 tire. I will want a 3.00-21 and a 5.10-17 right?

Is this your primary choice of tire?
What is your mix of riding? I want a long lasting tire that works well on the freeway at 70-75mph, isnt terrifying in rain, is cheap, easy to install, and good enough to make it over rocks and leafy mud that is typical on backwoods trails in VA.
How long does the front last at what tire pressure?
How long does the rear last at what tire presure?

I am 300lbs. Plus I have a fairly well outfitted bike.

Thanks For your help - David

1 - 20 of 65 Posts