Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first set of Kenda K270 tires wore like iron. Street, gravel whatever they did great. Last year late summer I ordered a new set and got just over 600 miles on them before the center lugs were cracking BAD. One lug was almost torn off. I called MC superstore and got the "probably not warranty but send it in and in 6-8 weeks we can tell you what will happen. NOT....I just ordered a replacement and cut my loss. Now 600 miles on the second tire and guess what? The center lugs are starting to crack. Not as bad as the last tire but it will never make it. I don't know what they changed but these new tires are JUNK.....If I were a roost it out of the corner guy that was riding a 990 KTM I could see it but a middle aged guy that just drives to work and takes pictures off his bike from time to time...NO WAY...:WTF:

A Shinko 244 is on my short list to replace it I think and then I will go with something more road friendly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i put a set of avon gripsters on, i got around 2000k's on them and very pleased with the overall handling on and off roads. by off road i mean side roads

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am running Heidenau K60 Scouts... they look like they will run at least 2X what the OE tires did. They seem to be a decent all round tire.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 270's suck! 244's are much better. But it you're just riding to work and gravel and don't ride mud on purpose, get the 705's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 270's suck! 244's are much better. But it you're just riding to work and gravel and don't ride mud on purpose, get the 705's.
You and Eric have both pushed the 244 and its now going to be the replacement tire for my 270...Enough is enough for me.:brick:

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I've heard way more positive reviews of the Shinko 244 than the Kenda 270, if I had to buy one or the other I would def go for the 244! :WellDone:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Well my first set of Kenda K270 tires wore like iron. Street, gravel whatever they did great.
Me, too, moriver; and--the second set and the third set as well!

Sorry you've had a bad exposure to that product; in your position, I'd look for something else, too.

Without experiencing the 244s, I've run K270s extensively on both KLR250 and KLR650 (3.25 X 21 front; 5.10 X 17 rear don't know if the "oversize" contributed to servicability). No problems (had to space KLR250 exhaust outboard with a washer or two for clearance). Fully serviceable and acceptable 50/50 tire in my experience.

Rode 'em on The Tail of the Dragon, on the Hatfield-McCoy Trails, completed a couple of Shenandoah 500 Dual-Sports on 'em, with lots of garden-variety pavement in between.

Not to say that 244s are not superior in many ways. Possibly, I've been fortunate in choosing K270s from "good batches," the quality may vary from run to run.

Now running Kenda Trackmaster IIs and Continental Trail Attacks on 250 and 650, respectively, for their specialized capabilities. Yet, if I wanted an affordable 50/50 tire, would chance K270s again.

That said, I've read lots of good reviews from riders whose opinions I respect on 244s. Would consider 'em favorably if the opportunity arose. Let us know how they work for your riding style and environment.

DISCLAIMER: No financial interest in Kenda.

·
Banned
411 Posts
My buddy that loves 270s swears it is tire pressures that tears them up. He swears by them and he almost had me talked into a pair but I like T63s so much I have a set waiting for me to finish this pair of 606s......

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i also support the 244's on my second set now and ordered a 3rd and sent them to wisconsin to put on when i get there. that being said i will again announce that the rear tire wears evenely but the front doesnt the middle knob doesnt wear but the side ones do, but you still get god mileage out of them and the price is wonderful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had Kenda 270 on my '05. They were pretty squirrely on the street (flexible knobs). Replaced with a set of OEM Dunlop K750 and it's like a completely different bike, stable and smooth on pavement, and not much different on gravel. If I went further offroad then maybe the 270s would come into their own.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
K270s made me pee my pants.

They are only good for going in a straight line or in the dirt.

T

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
They are only good for going in a straight line or in the dirt.

T
Hey, not EVERYONE'S a knee-dragging footpeg scraper like you, Tom Schmitz! :)

Yet, if fear and loathing of folding the knobs pursues you, you'll never be comfortable with that tread on pavement.

What are you running currently?

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
While I'm a big fan of the K761 for an all 'round tire, I currently have a Battle Wing on the rear. I haven't found it to be of much use off-road.

Interestingly, though, while I'm certainly no peg-scraper on the KLR I have noted that the Battle Wing has a markedly narrower chicken-strip. Subconsciously I must feel it is more confidence inspiring than the K761 is.

I found the K270s to be completely unpredictable while riding on pavement. Sometimes it would ride up in a turn, sometimes dive down, sometimes it would simply feel like it was about to fold up. OK in the dirt, though.

T

·
Banned
411 Posts
I have only tried the stock Dunlops, Mefo Explorers, Shinko 244s, Michelin T63s, and Dunlop 606s. The stockers, Mefos, and Shinkos did not hook up in the dirt as I would like, lotsa front end wash outs and sliding around. I then tried the T63s and liked them a lot, felt real good in the dirt and I really had no issues on the road. Nothing compared to the Mefos in the twisties but comfortable. Then I tried (still got 'em on) the 606s. No better than the T63s in this NorCal terrain and borderline scary leaning in the corners. I guess I could spend years trying different tires but for the summer when I am in the mountains a lot I am sticking with the Michelins. I have a set of Shinko 700s That I plan on trying in t he winter when riding is pretty much limited to the valley.
As this shot can contend, I had no problems leaning on the outside of the Michelins...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just put a K270 on the front, about 100 miles of dirt, gravel and mud today and I am pleased so far. It does seem a little loose on pavement but that is not what I have a KLR for and I don't expect it to be a sport bike. I chose it over the 244 because of it being 6 ply instead of 4. I still have the bridgestone on the rear that came on the bike but I am cheap and will wear it out even though I am not pleased with it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I had Kenda 270 on my '05. They were pretty squirrely on the street (flexible knobs). Replaced with a set of OEM Dunlop K750 and it's like a completely different bike, stable and smooth on pavement, and not much different on gravel. If I went further offroad then maybe the 270s would come into their own.
I actually liked the ride of the stock tires, too bad they didn't last longer though...

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Anyone have 270 whine problems ,I put about 700 miles on a front and liked it on both pavement and in the dirt ,: just took it off as I Couldent stand the howl on pavement I tried air pressure from 26 to 36 psi now the back 270 is fine ! :wave2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I'd piggyback on this post instead of starting my own thread, but if that's wrong, let me know.
I needed a new rear on my klr, and wanted a mefo explorer but it seemed everywhere was sold out. I was told they'd be in in a week, but then called on that date and was told it would be another couple weeks. Summer was slipping buy and my original stock dunlop was slick down the center. Definitely scared me on dirt roads. So I got a great deal on a kenda 270 from my local shop. Haven't had it long enough to form an opinion. Figure I'll run it and probably replace it next year with a mefo. Long story short, I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia, gonna need a new front tire before then. Would it be a bad idea to run a kenda 270 rear and a mefo explorer front until the time comes to get a new mefo rear? I'm new to bikes, so this whole running different tires front and rear thing is totally foreign and unnerving to me. Gotta figure out tire pressures too, so much to learn!
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Different tires front and rear is not a problem, some people prefer certain combinations but what works for me might not work for you because of different riding styles or skills and different terrain. It's just one of those things you have to figure out for yourself.

·
Registered
452 Posts
mefo explorers were junk for me less than 2k miles into my Alaska trip the lugs were splitting and carcass warping I was afraid it was going to ruin my trip ..

I went back to my k60s and one size bigger rear 140 they wear well for me and good compromise for as much dirt and street I ride here .
on my tiger im running the shinko 705s and do great on my gravel roads and 2 track ..

only reason I didn't run k60 on my tiger is cost its double the price on the tiger .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts