Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Search for a Duro Median if you are looking for a 50/50 tire that lasts longer than 3500 miles. Cheaper as well IIRC

·
Registered
989 Posts
kings are one of the worst tires made,followed closely by the duro. IMHO

i've seen a kings with all the knobs gone in 1,000 miles of use.

i had a set of duro's that were on the way to coming apart at 1400 miles,threw them in the trash.

i used to have a picture of the king,i think it was on dot net during the last database crash.

i think i've got a pic of the duro if anybody wants to see it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My Duro has held up great. As well as the beat on Kenda 270. I got 6500 out of that tire. I guess I do not ride as hard as others???

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bones said:
My Duro has held up great. As well as the beat on Kenda 270. I got 6500 out of that tire. I guess I do not ride as hard as others???
kenda good,duro bad. honestly,some people do fine with the duro.
i switched to the metzler sahara3 when the duro's couldn't hang and found the sahara to be an outstanding 50/50 tire.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got to defend Duro's. I have seen what Larryboy went thru with his and if mine did that I would feel exactly the same.

I'm on my 3rd set of Duro's now. I did have troubles with the first front cupping badly, but once I figured out that it likes about 25 psi or less (vs 30+) that problem is gone.
I get between 5000-7000 miles out of a set depending on the time of year. I seem to get better mileage in the winter :?

My guess is that I ride more dirt road miles in the winter and Florida roads get mighty hot in the summer so that cant help.

·
Registered
989 Posts
i've got 5k on the dunlop 606 on the back of my klr right now. if i'm only going to get 5k out of a tire i want knobs. same cost as the duro with 10 times the dirt traction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
larryboy said:
i've got 5k on the dunlop 606 on the back of my klr right now. if i'm only going to get 5k out of a tire i want knobs. same cost as the duro with 10 times the dirt traction.
606's are $50 to your door or less each? Hell I will give them a shot next time then. Installing a set on a bike this weekend.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bones said:
larryboy said:
606's are $50 to your door or less each? Hell I will give them a shot next time then. Installing a set on a bike this weekend.
yup,$55 each + $11 shipping=the same(fuzzy math :lol: )

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
D/S junky:
That web site only lists a 17 and 18 inch. They may have a 19 but its not listed.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm on my second rear Kings tire and have been happy with them. The tread does look similar to the stock Dunlop but its more open and the lugs are larger. I got 5k out of the first one and should get about the same out of this one as well. It sticks to the pavement well and has done everything I have needed it to off road when aired down. I am hard on rear tires, I got less than 3k out of the K270 and 2k out of the stock Dunlop. At 60 bucks mounted and balanced at the shop, its hard to beat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
looks like that might be a good tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 17" Kenda K270 is the same price. Get it instead. It has a better offroad tread pattern. I've been through the stock tire, a Metzeler MCE Karoo, and a Mefo Stonemaster knobby. I have a K270 now, and it is by far the best 50/50 tire for me yet. Haven't tried the Dunlop D606, but I may try it once the mud gets deep. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
larryboy said:
8) BINGO! You got that right!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replys.
I've been using TKC80's on the rear. They are a great 50/50 tire, wait, no, they are an excellent 50/50 tire, and my riding style nets me 7,000 miles out of them.
I ran a Gripster and got about 7,000 out of it too, but I'd rather have the TKC's offroad traction for the same wear rate and price.
I like the Enduro Sahara tire a lot! One I ran on the front netted over 8,000 miles. But I can't seem to find a rear Sahara for under $130.00. And a cool hundred is where I draw the line for a tire.

I was shopping for a new rear and was thinking of trying something different for a change. I came across these Kings and thought I'd throw it out for you're comments. At about 1/2 the cost of a TKC, I might get one and see how it goes. Like dvklr650 posted, they do look like the stock rear, but a little different. Incidently, I hated the stock rear tire. My riding style proved that the rear stocker was not up to my offroad needs. But maybe the minor lug difference between the stock Dunlop and the King will be ok. Not to doubt larryboy's post; but at 57 bucks, it's worth a try.
I like the looks of the Kendas and the D606's, but I ride lots of hiway miles and they look a little too agressive and loud for what I need.
Regarding DaddyJoe's post about the missing 21" size; I usually ride different brand tires front and back. My favorite setup so far has been the TKC on the back and the Sahara on the front..
If I buy one of these Kings I'll post the results, as they get smaller...

·
Registered
989 Posts
DSjunky said:
Not to doubt larryboy's post; but at 57 bucks, it's worth a try.

If I buy one of these Kings I'll post the results, as they get smaller...
that's what i thought about the duro. $100 worth of tires in the trash and i had to buy another set of tires.

let us know how it goes.

i order tires from these guys. www.americanmototire.com

they show the sahara rear at $113.

you know..another tire you might be happy with is the maxxis 6006. it's in the $50 range and seems to hold up well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have about 3,000 miles on a set of Kings. On the road I think they work very well. Very stable, unlike the 606 I had previously. Off road was another matter. The front tire would wash out on gravel and sand, but was adequate on hard packed dirt. Adjusting air pressure did not help. For some reason, after about 1,000 miles they began to grip better. and lowering the front forks a little improved on that, but still not up to the 606 level. I have had no problem with the rear, except the lugs are beginning to show cracks at the base of the carcass and I don't know if that is going to grow into a problem or not. Looks like the rear may last about 5,000 about the same as the Dunlop. I may try the Kendas or IRC next, though I hear the Kenda is a little squirmy on pavement.

·
Registered
989 Posts
garyc said:
I have had no problem with the rear, except the lugs are beginning to show cracks at the base of the carcass and I don't know if that is going to grow into a problem or not.
that's what i'm talking about, 80 mph on a hot day and that tire will come apart/throw the knobs off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts