Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all bike fans and riders.
I am new to the kl side .
Just brought a used kl 650 my 92/93 and it has no spark.
Where do i start? or is it as simple as getting a used cdi from ebay.
Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, attached is the trouble shooting appendix from my KLR650 Service Manual that refers to "no/weak spark". Bear in mind, I have a 2016 (manual), though it may be useful. :smile2:

Welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill10

Hi Bill10
Thanks thats great,not sure yet if i have a KLR or KLX,picked up the bike on saturday and of course trying to start it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The Generation 1 (pre-2008) KLRs have CDI ignition, unlike the latter-day models.

For spark on a Generation 1, you must have: Alternating current from the exciter coils of the stator feeding the CDI unit, recurring pulses from the pickup coil triggered by the timing lump on the rotor (flywheel), and an operational ignition coil.

You can measure exciter coil AC when the engine is rotated (remove the spark plug and grind it with the starter). You can monitor the pulses from the pickup coil. You can check resistances on the CDI terminals, and the ignition coil.

You can check connections for continuity/short-circuit; the kill mechanism is shorting the exciter coil voltage to the CDI by kill switch or by ignition switch in the OFF position.

Good luck; Google "KLR650 wiring diagram) for a running start at your problem.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
And, perhaps to save you some time and effort: The battery, and its charging circuit, have absolutely positively completely NOTHING to do with the ignition on a Generation 1 KLR. Don't even think about charging or replacing your battery in hope of success with the "no spark" problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Damocles
Thanks , thats good to know now where the components are which are respossible for the spark.
Also i can't find or not even a place for the battery.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
If you can find the plate with the vehicle identification number (VIN), or perhaps the documentation ("Title," or "Registration Certificate" over here), the model of motorcycle may be identified, if your mates can't assist you in identification.l

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Hi to all bike fans and riders.
I am new to the kl side .
Just brought a used kl 650 my 92/93 and it has no spark.
Where do i start? or is it as simple as getting a used cdi from ebay.
Thanks
OK, remove the spark plug cap from the spark plug.
Unscrew the cap from the wire.
Crank the engine while touching the END of the spark plug wire!

Sorry to be a 'smart-ass'! But are you 100% certain that your ignition system is "dead"? Pretty 'rare' from my experience!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
?

Hi guy
Thanks for all the info but i worked it out and the engine is running fine.
The kill switch was the wrong way aroud in the cable department.
Thanks again.
Safe riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a twin disc set up on a kl650 and if so what ohter set up would fit.
I am trying to change my 650 a bit with twin disc and some mods all over the bike.
Also what about the exhaust,give me please some more one cylinder sound.
Safe riding and be in front.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I think the answer to your first question is, "No." Larger-diameter brake disks, and dual-piston calipers, however, are not beyond the limits of possibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts