Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally started this thread on the KLR general discussion forum. Seems like this is a more appropriate place. I have ordered and received a doo and torsion spring for a KLR 650(thru 87). Looks like it will work fine for my KL600. Will be out of town for Thanksgiving so won't be able to install till next week. Will take pics and post them along with results as soon as my status allows.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have had time to look over the parts and get started on the mod. Looks like the doo will work, but turns out that the 600 is slightly different than the later models. On the 600 the doo is retained by a circlip. Apparently on the later models it is retained by a bolt in the shaft. I think that the circlip and bolt only function to retain the doo and do not play a part in positioning the shaft that the tensioning gear rides on. That being said I am going to reassemble and rely on the adjustment bolt to retain the doo. Would appreciate any thoughts on my plans. Will post pics when my status allows.

·
Registered
39 Posts
alright mate,

how's it working out for you?

I'm going to be doing the doo myself shortly so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had no difficulties. In retrospect, I probably could have just replaced the original spring with a torsion spring rather than replacing the doo. As near as I can tell, the 600 doo is different from the one on later models. I decided to be on the safe side and replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
interesting. I guess i'll open it up and see the state of the doo. Did you have to drill a hole for the torsion spring? did eagle mike send instructions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I had to drill a hole for the torsion spring. I was not difficult, and it came with instructions. I didn't get mine from Eagle Mike, but I would be very surprised if the ones from Eagle Mike don't come with instructions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah I have to say, the eagle hasn't been very helpful replying to questions I have and as his site is setup for klr650's and he has such a good rep I could have done with some reassurance that I would be okay buying for the 600, kind of fancied the air filter he sells but as i haven't got confirmation it's okay on the 600 will have to give it a miss

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Don't be shy. Pick up the phone and give Eagle Mike a call. You'll get your answer.

(619)*261-1281

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Yup! What klr4evr said! I ordered two doo kits, with one set of tools and torsion springs and magnetic drain plugs. I double ordered extra gaskets without realizing. HE phoned me and sorted it out. Recently he has relocated his shop so your missed questions may be as a result of that. Like klr4evr said just give him a phone call.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah I spoke to him today and he was really helpful, answered all my queries. I think we had some trouble with e-mails getting through.

So i'm gonna order my doo and torsion spring, bit of a long shot but is there anyone around london or in the UK who could lend me the rotor puller and rotor holder? just asking as it'l save me 40 odd pounds in tools?

·
Registered
19 Posts
doo the kl600

Hey Guys there Are A Couple Of Threads Around About working On These Great 600S. I've Personally Done The Eagle Mike Doo On My 84 And 86 Models. The 86 Went Without A Hitch, The 84 Didn't Have Room For The New Lever, So I Just RePlaced The Spring.

P.s. I Have An Extra EM Lever Around..

Feel Free To Contact Me About Other Work On The Bike, Or Search The Forum For My Name. I Love This Bike. About To TaKe a Dremel To It In Fact..

:stickpoke:

·
Registered
39 Posts
my doo kit just arrived yesterday,had it sent to my girlfriend who was in the US and then she's brought it back for me. ordered the full set with gaskets, tools etc to hopefully make the job a bit easier. my bikes on a Q plate so not sure of the year hoping my torsion spring and lever will fit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
my doo kit just arrived yesterday,had it sent to my girlfriend who was in the US and then she's brought it back for me. ordered the full set with gaskets, tools etc to hopefully make the job a bit easier. my bikes on a Q plate so not sure of the year hoping my torsion spring and lever will fit!
Should be simple to deduce: if it has a starter, it should fit. :c0125:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts