Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know have all the tools at my disposal to fix my doo and insert a helicoil to keep my head cover on

but now i need some help with my disapearing oil, when i was riding on the motorway i was putting almost as much oil in as petrol!

it never smoked too much(or at all really) and i couldn't feel any oily reidue out the exhaust, my mate said he could smell oil when he was riding behind me but i think he was talking rubbish

could it be leaking out the bottom? i've got three or four spots where oil is leaking and it leaks quite strongly, could it conceivably leak more when I was riding?

Does anyone have common oil leak problems?

i'll try and upload some photos of where the oil drips are

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
below my generator cover i pulled off some goo and revealed that which is leaking oil, what is it? should it have a cover? why is it leaking? is it broken?
many thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
When you did the DOO, you would have noticed the shaft or adjuster bolt has an oil "O"ring on it and a washer......you need to make sure that the "O"ring is seating or sealing inside the case and not too far outwards as in the washer may be pushing the bolt too far out and it needs to have no washer to get a proper seal on the case. Also check to see if there is any dirt, crap or whatever in that sealing location that would cause the "O"ring not to seal. Also any cracks, deep scratches anything ruining the sealing surface.
If it's all OK, then yes you are burning it....sorry!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, i'll get that sorted then! another job on the list!

what about the droplets under the crank though? those are there even after I've drained the oil! anything I can do to stop that? any hints on where it's coming from?

also what is that thing in the first photo, I can't find it in the fiche, it seems to be leaking a lot of oil. I've found it in the manual but only a picture of it not a descripton of what it is. The previous owner had filled it's tab in with an jelly sort of thing, like an instant gasket, just wondering if it should have a cover or what?

oh also I haven't done the doo yet! that's going to be done this weekend probably

Attachments

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
oh also I haven't done the doo yet! that's going to be done this weekend probably
Your bike, jimijlondon, but . . . Bayesian Probability suggests, if your doohickey ain't failed yet, it ain't gonna.

Examples may exist, but . . . haven't heard of catastrophic collateral engine damage from a KLR600 doohickey failure.

Again, your bike!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your bike, jimijlondon, but . . . Bayesian Probability suggests, if your doohickey ain't failed yet, it ain't gonna.

Examples may exist, but . . . haven't heard of catastrophic collateral engine damage from a KLR600 doohickey failure.

Again, your bike!
hmmmm, fair point, I've got the parts now so it's gonna get done. and i guess it'll be nice to have the peace of mind. It had been making some sounds similar to dodgy doohickey sounds. I'll take some pics and make some notes when I do it at the weekend, mileage is a bit of an unknown on this bike too so that's annoying from an assessing the kl600 do perspective. Will be interesting though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts