Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought a 1984 KLR600 and we are loking for the Radiator guards does anyone know who might sell them for the 600's? Also we are looking for a stock kick stand.

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
fatherof4 -

First off - welcome to the forum. I see you've been here a while; good to see your first post.

You know, since the frame is pretty much the same, but the radiator shrouds are different(ish), I can't help but wonder if the simple radiator guard wouldn't work. HT has this one.

Were you thinking along these lines, or looking more for the nerf bar product? Even those might work, unless you have experience that says otherwise, though how closely they would conform to the 600 shrouds may be an issue.

Have you got any photos that we can see, particularly frontal and frontal 3/4 views? Might hell judge what will and won't fit.

Dual Star also makes a simple radiator guard, but I have no idea what their current status is WRT inventories and phone answering.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think for now he just wants some protection for the rads.

I have the nerf bars on my 650 so we might try and see if they will fit on his 600.

Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I'm still not clear on what type of protection you would like to go with. The "frame" type protectors that Tom indicated, which would offer some protection in a situation where the bike bites the ground, or a screen / mesh type protector to protect again rocks and road debris.

Here's some food for thought. Below is a photo of a KLR 250:

Here is a set of mesh type radiator protectors for the KLR 250:

Here is an image of a KLR 600:

Compared to a Gen I KLR 650:

With only images for a comparison, I'm thinking you might have more chances of success looking to the KLR 250 for adaptable components.

Something to consider maybe. If actual framed protectors like those offered by Happy Trails are more in line with what you are looking for, you might consider these:

http://klr650.com/radGrds.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is new to off road riding so his main concern is if he drops the bike he doesn't take out a radiator.

The smaller guards might work but I think he is hoping we can make the frame mounted ones work

I have 2 brothers with 650's and we all have the frame mounted guards and he is hoping to outfit his 600 similar to our 650's and ride with us.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
VA,
Is that your bike?
No, I grabbed that picture of the red one off the net, choosing it for it's exposure to the radiator area.

Tha's my KLR 650.

It even runs and gets ridden:

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
Is it the photo perspective, or are those boxes really that big?

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Reason I asked was because I have the PD stickers 176 and 177. Bill Decker used to make them and all were individually numbered. Just odd to see another KLR with one of the stickers on the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts