Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I'm setting up my 2016 klr 650 with a kick start and one of the parks I'm going to need are a pre 2011 transmission for it to work. Well I found a kick start assembly for sale and it comes with a klr 600 transmission as well so I'm wondering if I have to sell the transmission or if it would work for this project. I'd prefer to get a newer transmission but if I don't have to buy one then might as well save some cash. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,768 Posts
Have you read our member Tom Schmitz’s right up on his website??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ye
Have you read our member Tom Schmitz’s right up on his website??

Yes that's where I'm getting the information to set the kickstart system but he simply says that a transmission from a pre 11 1/5 klr 650 is needed. I'm trying to figure out if the old klr 600 transmission is the same or at least interchangeable with the klr 650.

·
Administrator
8,912 Posts
You can use the 600 transmission. There are some advantages and disadvantages. This article goes into a bit more detail on the differences than what is in the kick-start article. @Vernmented is putting a kick-start and a 600 transmission in his Gen 2 build. Perhaps you should read over his "This was a KLR650" build thread. He is close to finishing, I believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can use the 600 transmission. There are some advantages and disadvantages. This article goes into a bit more detail on the differences than what is in the kick-start article. @Vernmented is putting a kick-start and a 600 transmission in his Gen 2 build. Perhaps you should read over his "This was a KLR650" build thread. He is close to finishing, I believe.
Okay thank you very much for the info I'll definitely read it all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts