Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 1985 KLR 600 it,s allmost like new but I had it stored this winter and I started it up and ran it about 3 mounths ago and it ran fine now I start it up and only runs for about 20 seconds with A slight poping then dies what does that sound like I did some work I can keep it running but wont idle and back fires went through the carb checked valve timing I think it might be ingnition can sombody tell me how to trouble shoot electrics.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Try opening the gas cap and starting it. Might not be venting.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
And a good dose of Seafoam never hurt anything. :35a:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have plenty of venting it all most seems to be runing A little longger but I think I will clean the carb and get soom new gass and see how that goes

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you haven't tried it yet, you might drain the float bowl. Water and other stuff collects there. Once drained, I pull the fuel line at the petcock and add carburetor cleaner to the line, hook it back up and turn the engine over a few times. Let it set overnight. With a good amount of luck, it might save you from pulling the jets. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I did fix it it was carb jet pluged
You confirm the most likely cause, in my mind!

This ethanol-laced fuel deteriorates and coagulates readily; not that any gasoline might go bad over time. STAR-TRON fuel stabilizer helps combat ethanol to some extent, the modern Sta-bil might also.

Diagnosis and correction/cure seem right in line; congratulations!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts