Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about doing my first build using as much as I can from a KLR 650 but trying to make it more like a Scrambler/Tracker. I'd love any suggestions for a newbie like myself. For example places to buy parts from like a frame and engine (I'm not too willing to buy a whole bike just to strip it down). I'm thinking of starting with just the frame, engine, probably keep most of the electronics and the air filter. Everything else is gone.
So yea any advice for a newbie?

Cheers

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
To tell you the honest truth, you might be farther ahead to just get a whole bike and strip it down. Might even work out cheaper in the long run! Motors for these bikes in running condition go for a pretty good dollar, so by the time you buy the motor, find and purchase a titleable frame, and then all the other accessories and harness to make it run, it might be just as cheap and much easier to buy a runner and go from there :).

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Yep, way cheaper to buy a whole bike......furthermore, I'd suggest a good running Gen1, preferrably '96+ as you can find them cheap because the plastics fade and chalk badly and some people rattle can them.......and because early Gen2's have a host of issues (mostly minor except the piston/rings/oil burning ) to deal with.

2 cents,
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts