Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

klr 650 CDI

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  justjeff 
#1 ·
Anyone know the brand name of our unit? Gonna pull my tank before too long, but thought I would see if anyone else already knows.

Thanks,

Jim

#3 ·

Just going by what it calls it on the A9 diagram & would like to know what goes on with the different pins without having to bother you guys with my "want to know" questions. I fixed my "no start" symptom( that was actually a "no crank" problem. Symptom changed to a true "no start' problem - so I messed up something while working on it. Is gnd at the blk/white wire at the mag. what stops kills the ign? Or is it killed at the CDI - or am I still totally screwed up?

Jim

#5 · (Edited)
EDIT: Posted before I read Millhouse's post above; + 1, Millhouse! :)

Symptom changed to a true "no start' problem - so I messed up something while working on it. Is gnd at the blk/white wire at the mag. what stops kills the ign? Or is it killed at the CDI - or am I still totally screwed up?

Jim
BLACK/WHITE (exciter coil voltage) shorted to BLACK/YELLOW (ground), at ignition switch or engine stop switch kills the engine. The wiring insulation color may CHANGE, between a connector and a component; be wary.

Normally, with the ignition switch ON and the engine stop switch in the RUN position, the BLACK/WHITE ground is lifted. With ignition switch OFF or the engine stop switch in the STOP position, the BLACK/WHITE wire is grounded; as mentioned, the engine kill mechanism.

Myriad possibilities; hard to diagnose by remote sensing; maybe you could give Bob at TPI a call, asking for a referral to someone cognizant of KLR electrics.

BTW, the Canadian headlight lamp, with relay harness, sold by TPI is DYNAMITE for Generation 1 KLRs. TPI, I think, knows its way around the KLR circuitry, or knows of someone who does.

#6 ·
Thanks to both of you

The Clymers diagram showed me where the exciter coil was - I was trying to confirm whether I was right or not. Did you guys know, that-even IF you unplug the headlight-there's NO battery left next day!! The charger is on now but that might be another 50 bucks down th' drain....I KNEW that- but forgot to turn the key off last nite!

I have the blk/wh wire from the kill sw disconnected(thought we may have pulled some wires while cleaning up starter button sw). the wire is ground until the ign sw is turned to "ON". looks to be normal reading - but still won't run.... ALL I did was clean up and check(at the three prong connector) the clutch sw....uh...starter lockout sw.(sorry Damocles!)and push the start button outta it's hole for cleaning and checking. But, HEY, I'm sittin by my window and the KLR sure looks impressive on the lift table!

I plod on, :tapfoot:

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.