Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 KLR-650 Front Fender Mod - replacement of stock fender with an aftermarket fender to reduce airstream affect on the front end when traveling at speed:

Thanks much to Tom Schmitz and Lockjaw for the recommendations on fender replacements. What a difference changing the front fender makes!

I installed the new front fender today from Cycra Racing found here:
http://store.cycraracing.com/fasufrfeb1.html

Here's a comparison of the stock KLR-650 and aftermarket Cycra fenders:

I had to cut about 3 inches off the back of the new fender, and modify the cable stay by shortening it, so it would fit on the shorter back end of the new fender I used. There are many other fenders that other folks use too from other vendors, which can provide the same kind of benefit of surface area and attack angle reduction.

I road tested it out on the superslab: Opinion; Significantly improves the stability of the front end of the bike (the steering). I believe it is due to the new fender having much less surface area and attack angle (less "beak"), working together to reduce the destabilizing impact the oncoming air stream has that's moving on the bikes steerable parts (forks - fender - bars), allowing it to stay more planted, remain more stable at speed, and slide more easily through the oncoming air stream when going straight and when turning.

I think this mod will be a big help anytime I'm traveling at highway speeds. Thanks again much to Tom Schmitz and Lockjaw!

AM

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You're welcome. Thanks for posting up such a good report!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts