Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone could help me a little....I am looking at buying a Versahaul bike hauler for my KLR to go behind my RV. The question I have is: The tray to hold the bike is only 71" long. Has anyone used a hauler with a 71" tray to haul a KLR 650? I am not sure the 71" tray is quite long enough. Thank you!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can't answer the 71 inch question but I had a versahaul. It's the only brand to buy. The KLR is heavy on it. Good for short trips only. It's going to rock around. I'd also strap the bike to the RV to help with that. It may block your rear lights with a bike on it. I added lights to the versahaul. You'll need a heavy vehicle. I used a Explorer. The weight of the KLR back there lifts the front end and makes it unsafe unless on a larger truck. You may be ok with an RV but it may make the RV handle weird. You could also be overloading the RV. Most are at the weight limit from the factory. You also need a hitch rated for the tongue weight. Most RV hitches can't handle it. Not the best idea. In other words "Trailer it". A cargo trailer is not that much more money and you'll use it for other stuff camping and all your riding gear and if you trade the KLR for a larger bike you'll be ok still. I've got two bikes in a 10 foot one with an air compressor, a tool cart and a dolly to move it around if I have to unhook it. It follows the RV everywhere and they're inside out of the weather. Stick a rack on the roof and you can take a canoe too! The trailer also serves as a winter garage for the bikes. And last: Your bike will get really dirty back there on the hitch.

You may be asking on the wrong forum. Go search over here:
http://forums.woodalls.com/
There's people hauling Goldwings on the rear but you have to get your wallet out bigtime. To me,,, a trailer is the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Toney! I actually was looking at putting it behind my 30foot Motorhome. It should handle the weight pretty easily as I do have air suspension in the RV to level the load if needed. Just still not sure about the 71" thing... Really don't want to trailer if I don't have to just to save on gas for the motorhome etc if possible.... Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks Toney! I actually was looking at putting it behind my 30foot Motorhome. It should handle the weight pretty easily as I do have air suspension in the RV to level the load if needed. Just still not sure about the 71" thing... Really don't want to trailer if I don't have to just to save on gas for the motorhome etc if possible.... Thanks for the help....
You might pick up my trailer off the insurance company after the tornado comes this afternoon. We're sitting in Florida in the middle of the warning area in a Styrofoam box. It's to windy to leave and we'd have to drive hours south to get away in the RV. he only other choice is the bikes and the wind would take you off the road. The one time we come here they have the only High Risk warning for Florida. Watching the radar! Sucks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought a Joe hauler to hang the KLR of the back of a 30' foot Winnebago The bike and hauler are right at tongue weight 500 LBS. The other problem is the over hang of the bike and hauler. I have to be very carful of the inclines I try to take on or back down. My advice is get a trailer.
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
I'm a bit of a safety nazi when it comes to towing and hauling. A couple thoughts;

- 1) yes a trailer is "better" but it also is more difficult to maneuver, costs more and you have to worry about tires, wheel bearings, lights and depending on the size, trailer brakes.

- 2) I have a hitch mounted motorcycle hauler that we built in my metal fab shop; the bottom U channel is 6' (72") long and it works fine with the KLR. Is that 71" overall length or the bottom channel?

- 3) A stock/factory class III hitch is typically rated at 500 lbs deadweight with zero extension. The KLR is around 400 - 450 lbs (depending) and the extension is 24"......therefore you will be over the capacity of a Class III so use your discretion. I use a Superhitch Class V rated at 2,000 lbs deadweight and 600 lbs with a 48" extension....so with a 24" extension I have plenty of reserve capacity.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts