Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about buying a new KLR 650. Some local dealers are discounting new 2014 leftovers and I'd be interested in the New Edition. My question is this: how do I tell the difference between the early 2014 bikes and the later New Edition models? I should be able to trust the dealers but I'd like to know for myself how to identify the New Edition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Probably the easiest way to identify the New Edition bikes is by the seat. The New Edition has a wider seat. The non-New Edition is narrower and is more like a typical dirt bike seat. If the seat is narrower at the front than the back, it's a New Edition. The seat is pretty much consistently narrow on the non-New Edition bikes.

Someone may be able to weigh in with pictures of both seats to make it easier.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
apexal,
The visible clue is the wider, almost 'custom' looking seat, used on the 2014 New Edition.

I think the seat fabric is slightly different on the 2015's, but it is the same 'custom' shape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at and sat on a 2012 today and saw what that seat looked like so I'll compare to that one. The salesman assured me that the leftover is the New Edition but the shop is over 100 miles from here. They are discounting the bike as much as the shops in NY and NJ and it seems like a good deal ($5800 out the door). For some reason the used ones sell for quite a bit and it's hard to find a discount on new models. That says something about the KLRs!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
When I bought my '11 used bikes 1 to 2 years old were selling for only $1000 less than a new '11 out the door @ $6500! Why would I pay nearly dealer new price for a used bike with no warranty and no farkles? I didn't!! One dealer had a '10 demo that he would let me have for $500 off list with no warranty. What a deal!! Bhahahahaahh! He couldn't understand why I didn't buy it and wouldn't move on the price.
jj

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey apexal, welcome to the forum. Glad to see another New Hampshire rider.
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I have see used 2013 models listed for close to that price. National Power Sports, in Pembroke, has a 2013 with over 10,000 mi. listed for $5199 (not a New Edition, of course).
In the spring of 2010, I bought my 2009 as a left-over (from HK). I am glad I did.
By the way, I saw this ad for a 2014 NE at a dealer in Shrewsbury, Mass.
http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcd/4836358706.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey apexal, welcome to the forum. Glad to see another New Hampshire rider.
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I have see used 2013 models listed for close to that price. National Power Sports, in Pembroke, has a 2013 with over 10,000 mi. listed for $5199 (not a New Edition, of course).
In the spring of 2010, I bought my 2009 as a left-over (from HK). I am glad I did.
By the way, I saw this ad for a 2014 NE at a dealer in Shrewsbury, Mass.
I called that dealer and they want to tack on setup and delivery charges. Most dealers do that which irks me. I wish that they would post the actual, out the door price.
But thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I've decided to get the bike, it's a white one (my first choice) and hopefully I can pick it up Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Car Dealer tactics, We ALL HATE IT.
Welcome to Our, 'game center'!
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
too bad you aren't closer. I have a 2013 with less than 3K miles that I set up with Progressive monotubes and custom rear shock spring I would make you a deal on.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I called that dealer and they want to tack on setup and delivery charges. Most dealers do that which irks me. I wish that they would post the actual, out the door price.
But thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I've decided to get the bike, it's a white one (my first choice) and hopefully I can pick it up Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather.
Congratulations, apexal!

Don't think you will regret this purchase, even with the "packing and handling" charges!

Most importantly, you're getting the bike you want. Too many (my opinion) would-be bike buyers post their preferences, then talk themselves out of the transactions with insignificant haggling points. Why pass up happiness, when it's available and affordable?

Again, congratulations!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations, apexal!
Don't think you will regret this purchase, even with the "packing and handling" charges!
Most importantly, you're getting the bike you want. Too many (my opinion) would-be bike buyers post their preferences, then talk themselves out of the transactions with insignificant haggling points. Why pass up happiness, when it's available and affordable?
Again, congratulations!
Actually I'm getting a bike that's marked down in price with no add-ons. It's up in northern New Hampshire and I'm hoping to get it tomorrow with my truck if the weather is good enough. The ride up through the White Mountains should be real pretty with all the snow that we've been getting. To tell the truth I have a 2014 BMW R1200GS that's sitting in the garage but I'm really looking forward to having fun on the KLR.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
To tell the truth I have a 2014 BMW R1200GS that's sitting in the garage but I'm really looking forward to having fun on the KLR.
My riding partner (60,000 miles on his '08 KLR650) has a similar (but older) BMW stable-mate; plan on riding VA/WV with him this April on, guess what? The KLR! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's official. I'm a now a KLR owner. I picked up my bike today with my pickup truck but unfortunately it had snowed in the mountains and the roads were salty and wet. The bike was a mess when I got home but I managed to clean it up quite nicely. It's funny, I was so particular today but when riding season comes the bike will be filthy at times. But today it was salt and that's not the best thing for a motorcycle. Mud is a different story.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I rode to work first time this season (Midwest) and even beat the diehard HD guys to the punch.
They had their excuses. I'm not getting salt on my bike, You'll catch cold riding below 40 degrees (where TF did THAT come from?) I thought a cold was caused by
a virus and am sticking to that "myth". "it's an enduro, of course you can ride that thing in the cold.
(apparently knobbies are warmer than street tread.) They wuz just mad cuz I don't winterize,
get my plates renewed first nice day of the year, and get bizzy, and best of all, was the
first guy at work to ride in this year. Just like tomorrow.

Al, just hose off the salt and forget it. Might need a shot of WD in the cables and on
the chain but you can certainly ride all year on these things. They even come with snow tires.

The white version looks great, but remember black is the fastest color. LOL
Welcome to the very large world of the KLR!!! Have fun, be careful, and have
more fun.

CheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeapAndLovingHisKLR.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
PS, my dealer is also my mothers friend, and told me flat out.
These are flying off the floor and there's no discount. I got him to toss
in a 16t sprocket and service manual, and a low level pair of dirtbiking gloves.
Whoo! Whatta deal. You were/ are right tho. Just get the new one, Apex.
in '09 mine was 5499 and 6 g's even to actually let me leave on it with just enough
gas to get to the C store next door. LOL Kaw likes to save money on grease too.
The steering head, swingarm pivot came with barely a film. It's certainly not critical
early on but please add some goo when you have anything semi major apart.
Yer all good for this season.

My rule: Never buy a new car, never buy a used bike.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
40 degrees is about my limit with the gear I have. I've been riding to work all week and it's been around 40 when I leave. The first day I forgot my balaclava and my neck and the bottom part of my face were pretty cold by the time I got there. It's a 40-minute ride and the darkness is a psychological factor that makes it seem even colder.

60mph at 40 degrees is the Wind Chill equivalent of 25 degrees.

If I start getting uncomfortable, there are a couple of places I can pull over, sit on the idling bike for a few minutes with no wind blast and take a few drags off the ecig and I'm good to go again.

Much like seeing the first robins in the yard, it's a sure sign of Spring when we get the email at work telling cars to now stay out of the motorcycle parking area. I've never beat the HD riders, but most of them only ride a mile or so in town to work.

Our dealer never has any KLR's on the floor. I haven't even seen one of the new ones yet. He said he sells them as fast as he can get them and it's not a large dealership by any means. I don't know where they all go because I never see any around here. When I bought mine in '09, he had 3 on the floor and more in crates and I had my choice of all available colors.

·
Registered
285 Posts
40 degrees is about my limit with the gear I have. I've been riding to work all week and it's been around 40 when I leave. The first day I forgot my balaclava and my neck and the bottom part of my face were pretty cold by the time I got there. It's a 40-minute ride and the darkness is a psychological factor that makes it seem even colder.

60mph at 40 degrees is the Wind Chill equivalent of 25 degrees.

If I start getting uncomfortable, there are a couple of places I can pull over, sit on the idling bike for a few minutes with no wind blast and take a few drags off the ecig and I'm good to go again.
You guys are killing me.
14 degrees F this morning (true temp, not wind-chill). The driveway is still a glacier. 18 inches of snow still in the yard, with a forecast of 6 inches more this weekend.
I haven't riden since early November! Aaaaarrrrrrg.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I remember residing in those Northern climes and can say I never really appreciated what amounts to a six-month Winter. I can handle 3 months or so off from riding, but not that long. "I feel your pain."

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Nice side topic. lol (threadjacked)

Same here, Alp. I ride until December and as you can see
kick off the dust in March. All it takes is decent windproof
clothing, my Dakar windshield, That face and neck thingie,
and it feels just fine. I wear the hoodie up under the fullface too.
The brushguards are great protection from freezing fingers, etc.

All the Cheapster requires is moderately clean (no ice) roads.
Obviously June-Aug is bestest of all.

Back to the topic at hand,

What differences qualify it as a New Edition other than running a lawnmower
over the seat?????? Tighter doo spring? I have literally no info on this scooter.
(other than what I have seen in this thread)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice side topic. lol (threadjacked)
Back to the topic at hand,
What differences qualify it as a New Edition other than running a lawnmower
over the seat?????? Tighter doo spring? I have literally no info on this scooter.
(other than what I have seen in this thread)
Read the online Cycle World test. They explain the upgrades very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts