Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
If you used a cheap NON-OEM ignition switch other owners have found the wires incorrectly inserted into the multi plug.
Use the Search Community bar. I think member @campfire has corrected wire re-positioning post or thread.

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
Sorry! It was member @foo that re-connected the multi plug Correctly.

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
I'll suggest that you need to invest in a Clymer Service Manual for your age of bike & an analog (dial type) Volt-Ohm-Amp meter from Radio Shack or auto parts store & learn how to use them both. Quit simply Throwing money AT it.

Your bike could have damaged ignition system wires near the engine sprocket or mice could have chewed on some, anywheres above there. Learn to accurately test the individual components first before replacing anything.

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
Btw, on the carburetor. There is a grey fitting. What is it and where does it go?
The Gray plastic fitting on upper front LH of the carb is the float bowl atmospheric air vent. It used to have a translucent pink hose attached to it which ought to go up & over the frame & then route back down between air box & rear shock adjuster. It must NOT be capped or kinked or plugged or submerged under water!

And yes, your carburetor now needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
Read & view here, KLR Keihin CVK40 carb Explained video

And here, "Care And Feeding Of The CVK40"

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
I'm fairly certain the NO auto parts store will have a 160F thermostat in the Proper diameter to fit a KLR650 motorcycle!
Take you(r) old thermostat with you.

The lower radiator hose attaches to the REAR nipple of the coolant pump. The forward nipple from the coolant pump cover goes to the lower front of the cylinder. The system does not work well in Reverse.

·
Premium Member
11,954 Posts
Check that the hose going from the radiator neck to the (NIPPLE) on the bottom of the reservoir is open. Sometimes (the nipple) gets melted closed by the heat (and compression of the rubber hose) from the exhaust pipe.
I expanded your suggestion. And totally agree. A small drill bit will readily re-open the bottom nipple of the reservoir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts