Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few weeks ago I picked up a 2002 or 2003 KLR 650 for $1,200. I was under the impression the only thing the bike needed was a new ignition switch and gas cap as the original owner lost the key to the bike. It sat for 2 years so I cleaned the fuel tank and carb when I brought it home.

I ordered a new ignition switch and fuel cap for it. When I hooked the ignition switch up, I put some gas in just for it to start. No fire up or spark. But, it cranks/ turns over fine.

I ordered and changed the coil, still no spark. Now, I'm leaning towards it could be the CDI or Stator? Can I be pointed in the right direction what would be causing the bike to not have spark?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I've never rewired the ignition switch, but I have by-passed the clutch & kickstand switches.
If it cranks with the new switch installed that means that power is getting through it.
If you have, or can get a Multi Meter or good electronic probe, check for voltage at the CDI. Sitting that long I would start looking at connections at all the major places.
Do you have a manual to trace out the wires with?
Or even start by taking the electrical portion of the old switch out and try that a simple check of that new switch.

Good luck, we're here to try and help.
Yeah it cranks over, just no spark

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you used a cheap NON-OEM ignition switch other owners have found the wires incorrectly inserted into the multi plug.
Use the Search Community bar. I think member @campfire has corrected wire re-positioning post or thread.
The ignition switch were indeed incorrectly inserted. I referenced and corrected the wiring. She has spark now

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news. I corrected the wiring in the ignition switch and she had spark so I put the fuel tank on, poured just enough gas to start and she fired up.

But, it won't fire up without the choke on and when it starts, it won't stay running for more than 10 seconds at best. With that said, I'm leaning towards the carburetor is in question. As I said, she has spark and will start.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New carb arrived today. Installed it.

She lives. Choke is only needed to start up until she's warmed up, then will start up fine without it. I was hoping to be able to upload a video. But, it needs a few carb adjustment and definetly need new brake pads

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The bike now runs. I ran some seafoam in the gas tank and ran some in the carb as well. Started it up, held the choke and throttle open making sure the pilot jet was getting clean.

Last thing, she like's to backfire when at the 2 rpm area but after that. She'll behave. What's causing this symptom? Note, when we got her to start to confirm if it was a dud or not, my brother in law sprayed some starting fluid down the air box and it started which lead us to the carb problem. It's on a fresh carb as of monday, July 11th.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Everything about the bike is running right. But, it has an overheating problem though. The fan works. I had to replace the switch as the one it came with seized.

I flushed the radiator and burped it. The therm still stays all the way on the right side. I haven't noticed any leaking from the cooling system. I'm leaning towards it needs a new thermostat?

On the thermostat, I can just pick one up at Advanced Auto Parts, yes? OEM is $50 plus dealers is closed tomorrow. Advanced auto part I see up to $20. What spec thermostat does the KLR need?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update on the overheating problem. So there maybe an problem in the cooling system.

I opened up the radiator and there was no coolant in it. Took it to a neighbor who is more familar with working on bikes. We flushed the radiator. Let it run hot and no coolant. We looked at the res and it's overfull, but the excess coolant isn't going into the overflow drain and no coolant was going into the radiator.

No leaks was noticed. But, it is possible the hose from the res to radiator is clogged up? Or water pump failed?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm gonna be honest, I thought the burping was on the coolant res and never messed with cooling systems on bikes or on vechicle in general. I'm a visual learner

I flushed the radiator. Took the radiator cap off. Started it. Let it run until the bike was in the red zone of the temp gauge and started pouring coolant down the radiator slowly. I let it overflow a few times making sure there is no air bubbles. Let it run for 5 mins and poured more in and the overheating problem went away. So there's circulation. I took it around the neighborhood and the temp gauge stayed in the middle.

The last 2 odds that need fixing. I noticed a wiring to the horn was missing nor do I know where that wire goes. And taillight does work. But, brake light not coming on

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I rebuilt that carb a few times to no luck.

I brought the oem carb for the bike to Advanced Auto Parts to match up the missing screws and put it on. Cleaned the pilot jets and fired up and runs so much better than it did with the $100 carb from Amazon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts