Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The bike now runs. I ran some seafoam in the gas tank and ran some in the carb as well. Started it up, held the choke and throttle open making sure the pilot jet was getting clean.

Last thing, she like's to backfire when at the 2 rpm area but after that. She'll behave. What's causing this symptom? Note, when we got her to start to confirm if it was a dud or not, my brother in law sprayed some starting fluid down the air box and it started which lead us to the carb problem. It's on a fresh carb as of monday, July 11th.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,717 Posts
Your “fresh” carb still has crud in it. You must carefully and methodically disassemble and clean it completely. See the video on this forum for doing that.

DON’T keep swapping parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Everything about the bike is running right. But, it has an overheating problem though. The fan works. I had to replace the switch as the one it came with seized.

I flushed the radiator and burped it. The therm still stays all the way on the right side. I haven't noticed any leaking from the cooling system. I'm leaning towards it needs a new thermostat?

On the thermostat, I can just pick one up at Advanced Auto Parts, yes? OEM is $50 plus dealers is closed tomorrow. Advanced auto part I see up to $20. What spec thermostat does the KLR need?

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
I'm fairly certain the NO auto parts store will have a 160F thermostat in the Proper diameter to fit a KLR650 motorcycle!
Take you(r) old thermostat with you.

The lower radiator hose attaches to the REAR nipple of the coolant pump. The forward nipple from the coolant pump cover goes to the lower front of the cylinder. The system does not work well in Reverse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update on the overheating problem. So there maybe an problem in the cooling system.

I opened up the radiator and there was no coolant in it. Took it to a neighbor who is more familar with working on bikes. We flushed the radiator. Let it run hot and no coolant. We looked at the res and it's overfull, but the excess coolant isn't going into the overflow drain and no coolant was going into the radiator.

No leaks was noticed. But, it is possible the hose from the res to radiator is clogged up? Or water pump failed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm gonna be honest, I thought the burping was on the coolant res and never messed with cooling systems on bikes or on vechicle in general. I'm a visual learner

I flushed the radiator. Took the radiator cap off. Started it. Let it run until the bike was in the red zone of the temp gauge and started pouring coolant down the radiator slowly. I let it overflow a few times making sure there is no air bubbles. Let it run for 5 mins and poured more in and the overheating problem went away. So there's circulation. I took it around the neighborhood and the temp gauge stayed in the middle.

The last 2 odds that need fixing. I noticed a wiring to the horn was missing nor do I know where that wire goes. And taillight does work. But, brake light not coming on

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,717 Posts
Check that the hose going from the radiator neck to the bottom of the reservoir is open. Sometimes it gets melted closed by the heat from the exhaust pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Check that the hose going from the radiator neck to the (NIPPLE) on the bottom of the reservoir is open. Sometimes (the nipple) gets melted closed by the heat (and compression of the rubber hose) from the exhaust pipe.
I expanded your suggestion. And totally agree. A small drill bit will readily re-open the bottom nipple of the reservoir.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I rebuilt that carb a few times to no luck.

I brought the oem carb for the bike to Advanced Auto Parts to match up the missing screws and put it on. Cleaned the pilot jets and fired up and runs so much better than it did with the $100 carb from Amazon.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts