Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the KLR saddlebags and of KLR tailbag? If so, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the saddle bags,no issues so far. Some have said if you park in direct sun light for a long period they kinda turn purple. They aren't waterproof either. I sprayed mine with Walmart water seal hoping to help that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Tail bag.

I don't have Kawasaki bags, but I've had one of these on my 2011 KLR for 3 seasons. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1033/46095/Firstgear-Onyx-Expandable-Tail-Bag
I've only had to expand it a few times when doing some shopping. Day trips I can pack most everything I'll need in it with out expanding it. The main body sits on the KLR's rack just right. Side pockets are un-supported, but hold their shape OK.

I like it so much, I just ordered another one for my Honda NX250.
Couldn't resist, as I got a $25.00 gift card for Rocky Mountain ATV-MC for subscribing to "Dirt Bike" magazine. Brought the price down to $75.00

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I would have more replies with these bags. I appreciate those of you that replied as this helps.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bags

Shop and compare. Price and quality.
Form over function--or--Function over form?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've thought about the panniers as well, but like you are a little more than I want to spend right now. I also am not sure I want them on all the time making the bike that much wider. Decisions!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
They do stick out a bunch! I use my bike mostly to commute to work. I really just need the storage for a sack lunch and such. If I were in a big trip the factory bags might be a little small

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I actually posted on that prior to the crash and forgot with my short memory :surprise:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Saddle Bags

Hi Joker357 I do have the saddle bags and tail bag for a Gen2 and like them very much. If you pack carefully you can get a lot of stuff in them as for the tail bag is a little hard getting my leg over it I must mount the bike while on the side stand. I also have the new style tank bag and handlebar bag that I like very much and it is true the saddle bags will turn a bit purple looking in color. I got a great deal on fleabay for the complete set the original owner said he had them for a little over a year .Must have stayed outside in the sun all the time.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anyone have the KLR saddlebags and of KLR tailbag? If so, what are your thoughts?
They look good but they're big bucks for what they are. I bought this trunk (only 68 bucks US)
http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE

and also have generic bags but I don't use the bags much. They stay in the garage unless I'm going on a long trip. The trunk holds everything I need. Added brake lights and side markers to the trunk using a trailer plug so I can remove it as needed.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have a set of the "factory" bags and would classify them as an OK choice. The way they open everything tends to want to fall out. Time will tell how they hold up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you again for your replies and I will have to check eBay. I have the KLR handlebar bag at the dealer I ordered. I just have to pick it up. It'll be good for my registration and a couple of small items.

Toney, I did put the Emgo box on a past KLR I had and liked it as well. I am considering it as well, thank you

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the handlebar bag on mine also,you'd be surprised what you can get in that thing! I have a small flash light,disc locks,and a couple extra $ stashed in mine in case I loose my wallet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not planning on soft saddle bags or panniers. The factory luggage is nice and I think it would look good on the KLR, but there are lots of great options for tail bags out there. Just by way of examples...

I have the Sedici Soft Vento 25L tail bag that expands to 40L. When I got it, it was $80. Looks like maybe $90 now. I've used this one and can strap it over top of my rotopax cell mounted on the tail rack. Holds a lot.
SEDICI - Veneto Tail Bag - Tail Bags - Luggage - Accessories - Cycle Gear

For a hard bag for the KLR I have the 26L Givi E26NC that has built in brake light. Haven't actually used this one yet on the KLR, but have the holes drilled in the luggage rack for the base plate. I've used this for years on smaller bikes (Sherpa, 650Versys) and have never had a problem with it. Can't remember what I paid for it, but it currently runs $70 on eBay and Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Givi-Monolock-Tour-Brake-Light/dp/B005LLQGHE

·
Registered
914 Posts
I use this for a handlebar bag. Walmart sells then at back to school time of year. They're a buck or two. The bags deep so I turn it inside out and sew the bottom shorter. Cut off the extra and flip it right side out again. Melt 4 small holes with hot screwdriver and nylon tie to handle bars. Line the inside with some thin plastic scrap and for 2 bucks I have a bag.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For dirt adventures I use the wolfman rocky mountain soft bags with a large wolfman dry duffle bag. I also have a givi trunk. In all I have about 180 ltrs of storage. Saddle bags are 36ltr x 2, dry bag is 70 ltr, and givi trunk is 36 ltr.

I wanted the soft bags cuz I tend to go down a lot. Nothing really to break with soft bags. With the givi trunk and the duffle bag on the pillion I have a really nice back rest.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts