Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a K&N air cleaner on a 2010 650...great performance, but it was totally clogged in 200 miles of dirt riding...the bike would barely run. Does anybody have any other suggestions for an after market air cleaner that will enhance performance, but not get clogged so quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
If you're doing a bunch of dirt riding, I'd look into Filter Skins. They have a cord that you can pull to remove the dust laden cover to get clean filter afterwards..

And I also agree.. K and N filters are fine for street riding, but I won't condsider one for dirt riding.. I'm also a Uni filter fan!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I installed a K&N air cleaner on a 2010 650...great performance, but it was totally clogged in 200 miles of dirt riding...the bike would barely run. Does anybody have any other suggestions for an after market air cleaner that will enhance performance, but not get clogged so quickly.
Hi t s love. Welcome to the forum.

Our engines are basically air pumps. They draw in through the intake, and spit out the spent stuff out the exhaust. The only thing keeping the engine from drawing in bugs, small birds, dirt and dust, is the air filter. Any air filter that prohibits all that stuff from going into the engine is doing it's job, right? I think that if you read up on air filter use and maintenance in the dirt bike world, most riders will replace an air filter as often as needed in a dirty environment. Most carry a filter or two in a zip lock bag. You might consider something like that if you ride a lot in that dirty of an environment.

There have been reports of the K & N filter not sealing the intake properly on the KLR 650, allowing dirt into the engine. This is hearsay. I have no hands-on experience with the K & N on a KLR. The UNI filter gets high marks and praises. So does the stock air filter.

The benefits of an aftermarket air filter for this bike seems too minimal to me to risk any potential damage from a poor seal, or from a filter that doesn't do what it's supposed to do... keep the dirt out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
UNI all the way! I carry the stock one in a zip-lock for field replacements.

The late great KLRCary (Cary Aspy RIP) did tests with the K&N filter and found that it has less flow than the stock filter. That sucks considering it costs so much. I have used them in other applications and loved them :( Also the foam filters pack down better IMO.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I need to clean my stock filter but I am out of the K&N filter cleaner stuff that I was using. Is there something around the house that I could use to clean the air filter?? Windex, shampoo, baby wipes??

For what its worth, I run a UNI and am keeping the stocker as a backup

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Any air filter cleaner should remove the K&N oil. I used Uni filter cleaning spray once when K&N cleaning solution was out of stock all over town. It worked fine.

Oh and I only use Uni or stock filters. Tried a off brand once and the first time I washed it all the glued pieces simply dissolved and came apart. :-(

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just pulled my K&N today and it was extremely dirty and probably clogged and not letting air flow very well. It was in the bike when I got it so I have been living with it, but I have been contemplating a UNI for some time now.

The other are correct that a foam filter (or two) is better if your riding a lot of dirt.
You can always keep a spare on hand, they dont take up hardly any space and are light.

Ive also seen filters double up so you can just remove the outer one and get on with it. Does any one else do this? Ive seen this mostly on dirt bikes.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Uni filters are nice. I've been using PJ1 cleaner and oil and I have to say...good stuff. I used to use kerosene. Trying to class things up a little. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Is there something around the house that I could use to clean the air filter?? Windex, shampoo, baby wipes??
I've been cleaning my foam filters with Dawn dish soap for 20 years.. Soap and hot water cleans them up just fine.. Then a quick wipe of the sink, and I'm done..

But remember, I live alone, and I clean the cosmoline out of old war rifles in my dishwasher..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, soap or simple green or kerosene (I know, I know). Lots of stuff will work. The nice thing about the PJ1 is you spray it on. Leave it. Rinse it. Done. It smells nice, too. ;)

I originally got some to get free shipping. Then I got lazy and stopped doing what Paper does. Although my wife would also not be pleased. Good call. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I use the stock filter and I clean it with Dawn (in the kitchen sink when the wife is at work) and then use the PJ-1 spray oil. I have to do this so often I think I'll buy a second one to keep cleaned and pre-oiled and ready for use.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts