Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going on a trip with the family to Colorado, for about a 5-6 day trip. Included in the current route we will be doing some high altitude riding maximum of 10000 feet, klr's being carbarated will the bike run ok or need any adjustments? I'm on an 09 Klr 650.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've ridden mine up over 9,000 ft. without making any adjustments - but my house is also located right at about 5,000 ft, so maybe it was "set up" previously for higher elevations, because I purchased it at at place nearby.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know about other's experiences, but I had mine on a ride at ~7000 ft last fall (I live at ~300ft). bike ran fine once I got it started. I had to manually crack the throttle a bit and hold it that way for a minute or so first thing in the morning to get it running / keep it running... the rest of the time it started and ran fine (as it always does).

I think my idle screw is set at two turns out... might have been nice to have one of those after-market thumb adjustable ones??

http://www.cv-performance.com/ez-just-mixture-screw/

EDIT: could have also been related to my enricher nut being cracked.. that reminds me, I need to order a new one still! ;D

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I'm considering going on a trip with the family to Colorado, for about a 5-6 day trip. Included in the current route we will be doing some high altitude riding maximum of 10000 feet, klr's being carbarated will the bike run ok or need any adjustments? I'm on an 09 Klr 650.
Nate16guy,
Your stock and standard KLR will run just fine at 10,000-14,000 foot.
Maybe you will need to turn Up the idle speed to Normal 1200-1300 rpm when you are over 8000 ft. Turn it back down, when you get back down.

No internal combustion engine will make as much power at that altitude, but your KLR will take you over the fairly rugged mining roads of Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Telluride area with ease. The paved highways, piece of cake! Just not as quick to accelerate. It ain't quick, even at sea level. But quick enough!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I don't know about other's experiences, but I had mine on a ride at ~7000 ft last fall (I live at ~300ft). bike ran fine once I got it started. I had to manually crack the throttle a bit and hold it that way for a minute or so first thing in the morning to get it running / keep it running... the rest of the time it started and ran fine (as it always does).

I think my idle screw is set at two turns out... might have been nice to have one of those after-market thumb adjustable ones??

http://www.cv-performance.com/ez-just-mixture-screw/

EDIT: could have also been related to my enricher nut being cracked.. that reminds me, I need to order a new one still! ;D
travisn000,
Please don't confuse Nate.
Nate,
I'll again suggest that both you and travis would Only need to turn-up the Idle Speed screw on the RH side of the carburetor, 1200-1300 rpm, normal idle speed. Your only going to be there for a few days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hard starting at high elevations is sometimes my problem too, like a couple
months ago in Grand Teton NP, but because the air is colder up there. I also need to slightly open the throttle to get it to fire if the temperature is below 50F. Ongoing issue that was not fixed by installing "power up" kit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought mine in Fairbanks AK wich is near 2000 ft above sea level and rode all around and up pikes peak CO doubled up with my 17 yr old daughter with no issues ,,at 14k feet she was low on power but started up after lunch and drove great back down with no adjustments .

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have some other bikes that won't pull themselves over their shadow at 10,000 feet without a jet change from the sea level jetting.

The KLR with its constant velocity carburetor runs fine from Houston up over 13,000 feet dirt passes in the Rockies. On high steep highway passes fourth gear works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts