Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty heavy hitch mount motorcycle carrier. I use it for my XT350 all the time. I was wondering if anyone has use one of these things to haul a KLR650? It works great with the XT.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I put the KLR on the rack this morning and went about 15 or 20 miles. She was fine. I took most of the fuel out, not that it makes that much difference but it saved a few pounds. It's stock with nothin of weight for mods. Just interested if anyone else does this regularly. I am plannin a 300 mile trip down to WV this weekend to run some trails. I will be carrying it down and back. I would think she will be fine but I will double strap it. LOL

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is something I may consider down the road when wife retires and we start traveling seriously.

How did it affect your vehicle handling? I tend to think it would be equivalent of a 450lb tongue weight for a trailer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thanks. We are retired and travel with a fifth wheel. I use the same rack to slide into a hitch I have welded to the back of the camper. I carry the XT and two bicycles on it. I am hopeing I can take the KLR this year when we go to Florida. I have always taken the XT but the KLR is much more comfortable for longer rides. I am just hopeing the weight won't make much difference. Today, on the rack on the truck, 92 Dodge W350 Cummins it was fine. Like you said though I too believe it would handle much like a 500lb tongue weight trailer.

thanks again

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's old but still does a good job. When loaded with the fifthwheel and a 100 gal transfer tank in the bed I run about 6400lbs on the rear axle. I had to go to Alcoa wheels and pretty heavy tires to take the weight.

I was more concerned with the rack itself takein the weight of the KLR. It was custom built for me a while back. Seems not to be much of a problem, at least so far. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts