Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

KLR Bogs and Rattles

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lockjaw 
#1 ·
I had two bikes last week. 2008 Concours 14 and my beloved 2007 KLR. I had been spending a lot of time on the Concours but sold it last week. My problem is, my KLR bogs and rattles when I hit the throttle. I use premium gas with stabilizer. The bike never sits for more than three days without running. I didn't notice this before I bought the Concours. You get a little horspower crazy after riding the bigger bike. I am probably pushing the KLR pretty hard for acceleration. I am sure it is the carb. What about the engine rattle? I know they come from the factory lean. Is it a simple carb adjustment?

Thanks

#2 ·
mwynn-

That it didn't do it before the Connie indicates that there may be an issue with bad gas or varnish in the carb.

Your sig line doesn't say you've done the 22 cent mod, so the rattling could be pinging due to a lean condition. While the 22 cent mod could help with that, I'd be looking at bad gas or varnish first.

Try some Seafoam, and if that doesn't fix it, try a fresh tank of gas. Or both at the same time.

If the thing is still doing it, then you may have to look into the carb for a thorough cleaning.

Tom

#3 ·
Second vote for Seafoam.

#5 ·
I adjust the doo every oil change. I am sure it is not the gas. I just think it is lean.

Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
It isn't real clear in your original post if this is a new development, or possibly just an "adjustment to less than half the CC's" your used to rompin' on. The "22 cent mod" will be the equivalent of removing a tourniquet from your own neck. It will enhance starting and idle. It will provide a better throttle response. However, If you are experiencing problems at higher RPM's, you may have some other issues that the "22 cent mod" won't address. I think it would help for you to give a little more detail about what your bike is experiencing.

I'm not sure what you are basing your conviction that the gas is good on. I have had two bad loads of gas in the past month. And if I want a new hobby of draining the carburetor every 21 miles, I just need to buy gas with Ethanol.

#7 ·
I had the same thing. I had dirt in the carb. Looked like a piece of a leaf. As in tree leaf.

#8 ·
This is not a new issue. I just notice it more after the Concours however it doesn't seem like it is right. I never had a bike that stumbled when you hit the gas hard. It does not do it when I start slow. It happens when I am riding at speed and crank the gas.

#9 ·
The "22 cent mod" should give you a quicker throttle response. Easy process, and most people have expressed no regrets for doing it. I think it has been the most noticeable tweaking I have done on this bike. Next to the handle bar tassels.

#10 ·
Where'd you order your tassels from? Are they chrome colored? You didn't get them from KLR650.com did you???? Did you!!!!!!!!!! :46:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.