Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im to the point now were I have to drone on the pavement for a couple hours to get to some place I havent ridden.

Droning on the pavement puts a few vibes thru the bars and my hands need a rest occasionally. Alot of my other bikes have cruise in some form.....I need KLR cruise. Also my BMW could use the same.....and my Ural.

So Im off to find something universal, simple and that doesnt get in the way.

http://2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

This little guy costs $20 and so far I gotta say, I like it.

It works....its simple......easy to use.....unobtrusive......and it will work on all my bikes.

I bought one to try it out.....after riding a couple of my bikes with it on I think Im going to order enough to put 1 on all of them.

It works great on the KLR.....but I use Scott grips and they are narrower near the switch housing so I had to use the included band but no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I've been on the fence about throttle locks for some time now. Time to get off and just say I'm against their use. May never be an issue but in that split second or longer it takes to release it could be the difference between an accident or not. I'll err toward safety and the occasional hand cramp.

Flame on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been on the fence about throttle locks for some time now. Time to get off and just say I'm against their use. May never be an issue but in that split second or longer it takes to release it could be the difference between an accident or not. I'll err toward safety and the occasional hand cramp.

Flame on.
You don't need to release or unlock it.....it never locks in place. Simply close the throttle with your hand.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I will have to admit this is one of the better ones offered, but still defeats the return springs. And please don't take as a personal attack, just my 2 cents.

A local here and his bike wound up in a guard rail in the middle of a turn. Said he was using a similar device, forgot about it, was in too hot by the time he could back off the throttle and bam. I really think he panicked and forgot to lean while fiddling with it. Either way the damage was done.

·
Registered
562 Posts
these are for droning Along on the superslab, not in twisties

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cool - I ordered the crampbuster, from crampbuster .com. similar but works with the weight of your hand. simple install, if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool - I ordered the crampbuster, from crampbuster .com. similar but works with the weight of your hand. simple install, if you want to check it out.
My girlfriend uses on her BMW.....well, did use. Its wide enough that she was having trouble with it getting in the way when she was riding off-road so she kept having to take it off.

This search for a cruise control was for her....cause she hated the crampbuster getting in the way and the hassle of taking it off and putting it on.

Im hoping this is narrow enough she can just leave it on.....but if not it goes off and on FAR easier then the 'buster and doesnt require adjusting to get it in the right place.

I have big enough hands I can hold the throttle open with my palm so I got a built in crampbuster. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have both of those items on my bike. Use depends on circumstance

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would have to agree on the circumstances. weather yr a commuter or taking a trip to Steamboat, mostly off roads. Which ever yr pleasure, ride on. :animal0019:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just got mine, I'll let everyone know how it turns out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cruise control

While these cruise controls can be very handy, a person must be very careful of a simple tool. I have used the simple cruise control for much of my 55 years of riding. It has been very helpful all these years.
Two weeks ago was a regular day, jumped on my bike, and before getting to the end of the driveway my throttle hand got tangled in the cruise control. No matter how fast we think we can react, it won't happen.
Zoomed across the subdivision road, through a steep ditch, where the bike stopped and I didn't. Now with three broken ribs later I try to rethink my actions.
I am not saying the throttle was at fault, just know that this body of ours are not infallible. Just understand we need to decide how much are we willing to pay for enjoying the ride.

Jim

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
While these cruise controls can be very handy, a person must be very careful of a simple tool. I have used the simple cruise control for much of my 55 years of riding. It has been very helpful all these years.
Two weeks ago was a regular day, jumped on my bike, and before getting to the end of the driveway my throttle hand got tangled in the cruise control. No matter how fast we think we can react, it won't happen.
Zoomed across the subdivision road, through a steep ditch, where the bike stopped and I didn't. Now with three broken ribs later I try to rethink my actions.
I am not saying the throttle was at fault, just know that this body of ours are not infallible. Just understand we need to decide how much are we willing to pay for enjoying the ride.

Jim
I hear you loud and clear. Thanks for the reminder. We do need to stay hyper-aware of this thing when in use.

The nice thing about this gadget is that you just roll off the throttle if need be. It has no actual locking mechanisim to get stuck.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm about to slap an o ring in there. Looks a little better than a bungee. Will be familiarizing myself with the kill switch location. Good reminder.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
these are for droning Along on the superslab, not in twisties
+1 I have a lock on the v-strom and love it on I-70 but would never use it thru the city or in traffic. But coming home from Colorado it was a God Send!:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a throttle lock on my bike and love it

·
Registered
505 Posts
This control works well IMO, I installed it without the included band, my 09 has the factory grips still. It did back off very slowly but I think that the band will help that out. I had no issues as far as being in the way or bothering me. I would definitely not use it in traffic or on any sort of varying speed highway. It's really easy to get used to it and start daydreaming. Overall, a good cheap farkle that works as advertised.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Plastic knife, fork or spoon and a rubber band. Although the other gizmos are pretty cool. You would think for 20 bucks it could be made pretty indestructible. I know I would probably brake the thing pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts