Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I called the local Kawasaki dealership and asked if they could give me a ball park quote on changing out the "doohickey" and after 15 minutes of me explaining exactly what and where an Idle shaft Lever and spring were :46: (I think she was just a parts person and not a mechanic) I finally got a quote of 150.00 - 200.00 (I provide the after market doohickey and spring) to do the job, as they estimate 1.5 to 2.0 hours of labor.

Now, bearing in mind that I do not have all the tools needed and do not feel extremely comfortable... is this a fair price? I'm not totally freaked out about doing it but I am a little concerned.

Any ideas???

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
rwb83 -

At current shop rates, that's a fair estimate.

Before doing that, though, you ought to give a shout out and see if you can find someone in So. Wisconsin who can help out, or find out if there's any tech days scheduled in the near future.

Two benjies buys a lot of farkle...

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rwb83 -

At current shop rates, that's a fair estimate.

Before doing that, though, you ought to give a shout out and see if you can find someone in So. Wisconsin who can help out, or find out if there's any tech days scheduled in the near future.

Two benjies buys a lot of farkle...

Tom
Great! thanks Tom.

In that case, is there anybody in the Southern Wisconsin area who might want to help out and earn a little extra cash and or beer and Pizza? :)

Russ

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Tom's right. You might want to start a new thread looking for help though.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Great! thanks Tom.

In that case, is there anybody in the Southern Wisconsin area who might want to help out and earn a little extra cash and or beer and Pizza? :)

Russ
Russ,
We can take care of it if you're willing to buy a case or so of beer and maybe some cheese and crackers..

Get the Doo from Eagle Mike, as well as a new rotor bolt.. We've got a spare gasket kit if needed (never does), and all the tools.. I think we've done either 3-4 of them this year, so far. Closing in on a dozen of them, so far...

I'll get with Double A and we can set up some time to get it taken care of after work some night or on a non-swamped weekend morning or afternoon..

Also, since we'll be draining oil get yourself a filter and 3 quarts of your favorite engine oil. If you don't have a chance to get to a dealer for a filter, I have a bunch of Emgo filters.

The garage we do the Doos in is over between Brodhead and Albany.. The garage belongs to Double A, who actually works in Janesville at the Wisconsin School for Deaf and Blind (he's a plumber there).

PM me your email address and I'll set something up between you, he and I.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, I called the local Kawasaki dealership and asked if they could give me a ball park quote on changing out the "doohickey" and after 15 minutes of me explaining exactly what and where an Idle shaft Lever and spring were :46: (I think she was just a parts person and not a mechanic) I finally got a quote of 150.00 - 200.00 (I provide the after market doohickey and spring) to do the job, as they estimate 1.5 to 2.0 hours of labor.

Now, bearing in mind that I do not have all the tools needed and do not feel extremely comfortable... is this a fair price? I'm not totally freaked out about doing it but I am a little concerned.

Any ideas???

Thanks
I recently changed my doo with a Eagle MFG kit,,and I wasnt sure I could do it. But I studied the step by step on the web for a week or so,,,and I'm happy to report that it was easy,and now the left side of the motor is WAY quieter,,and the bike runs smoother,,less vibration at handle bars,,,and I dont have to worry about the Doo breaking inside and destroying the Mtr. Eagle Mike is a great guy,,,he will help you thru the whole proccess. If you can change a spark plug,,,you can do "THE DOO",,,and I would highly recommend replacing it,,a new mtr is almost 3 to 4,000$ Mine had 23,000 on it and the doo was "stuck" in one spot,,so over a year or so when I thought I was adjusting it,,,,it really wasnt moving at all!!! Not Good. So give it a try,,,its fun,,lots of coffee,,,,,put on some Lawrence Welk and dig the groove!!!!! PS;; Make sure to use the torsion style spring,,,thats the one EM recommends.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you guys think I should try to squeeze doing my DOO in before a 2000 mile trip coming up?
YES!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!Those things give no warning when they break,,,and I find that very unerving to say the least! It took me about 3 to 4 hrs taking my time as I did it,,double checking my assembly as I went. It took less than a day,,at a relaxed pace. I wanted to make sure it was done right the FIRST time.Plus,,,I love my KLR and I dont want to see it [email protected]#KD up in any way!!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Do you guys think I should try to squeeze doing my DOO in before a 2000 mile trip coming up?
On the Gen2 bikes the urgency is not so urgent. You just have a floppy spring. I would do it though. Scooter's right. But I wouldn't do it if I was rushed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you taken off left side cover to at least look at the doo?,,just to make sure its even still in one piece before your trip???? 1,000 miles into a ride is a bummer time to find out is wasn't. Just a thought.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you taken off left side cover to at least look at the doo?,,just to make sure its even still in one piece before your trip???? 1,000 miles into a ride is a bummer time to find out is wasn't. Just a thought.

Edit: Haha stupid Q never mind deleted. Looks like I will be getting it done in time! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts