Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KLR electrical question

I have a 2008 KLR with 6k miles. Battery is a sealed type about 3 years old and checks out ok. I rode the bike about 21 miles after charging the battery for 4 hours at 2amps stopping and restarting the bike about 4 times. The bike would not start I was able to coast down a hill to get started I rode about 1.5 miles and the bike started to died. (Once started will the KLR run with a dead battery?) Tac stopped working and battery was dead. Discount Auto charged the battery over night to get a reading on their battery checker. I also had the battery checked at Auto Zone and the Kawasaki dealer who said battery health was not good but battery was ok what ever that means.
Has anyone had this problem? Is it the battery, regulator or stator that is defective? Is there away I can check this out?
Thank you for any input you may have.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
IMO a 3 y/o MC battery is done.
This. Nail. Head.

Be grateful for your time together, remember the good times it gave you, but its time to acquire a new electric storage companion.

Odyssey 545 is expensive when compared to the others. If you find your self pushing your bike once you install one, its because it ran out of gas, not because the battery failed ya.

·
Registered
165 Posts
"Checks out ok" how? What might measure across the terminals doesn't necessarily indicate there's enough cracking power to move a 650 cc piston against compression. Motorcycle Batteries are, unfortunately, small to save weight which can equal a shorter lifespan. C'est la vie
Mac

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Three years?? It served you well..
I'm a true KLR owner and wouldn't ever consider spending money for an Odyssey (cuz I'm cheap).. I've always had good luck with "Tadaaaa" a cheap Walmart battery.. I think they're around $60..
Take it home, fill it, top it off, charge and install..

Also, remember that KLR's tend to cook batteries, so don't be shocked if you need to toss more water in it next spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts