Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the situation, my parents are gone on a weeks vacation and they .... wait. There is so much info out there on mods for exhaust. I have a LexxMx sitting downstairs waiting to be put on later this week. My carb is cleaned out and looks nice. I was going to do the .22mod while I had it off to put on a pilot screw. I just have a hard time drilling the carb. Read a some bad posts of peoples throttles sticking and accidents following. With a new exhaust what are some additional suggestions for mods to make it run good and smooth?

The main jet (stock) was screwed out a handful of turns when I took it off. The PO said it had been "jetted". So does that mean you unscrew the jet some? After I put the carb back in today I realized I had screwed the jet it all the way. Is that a prob? I figured it had the threads and it wasnt forced. Everything in the carb looks stock as I ran through it all.

I'm new and have done reading in this and other forums but there is so much out there its hard to wrap my ignorant little head around.

Any help is appreciated regarding information....

·
Registered
89 Posts
The carb jet itself should be stamped with a number and yes it should be screwed all the way in. The only way to know what jet is in it is to pull it out and read it.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
1) You don't need to drill the slide; it has nothing to do with jetting (only a change in throttle response) I have KLX jet kits in both mine and didn't drill the slide. If you do decide to drill; go 7/64ths not the 1/8" that is sometimes recommended.

2) the 22 cent mod is OK.....for the price but consider a KLX kit (available from Eaglemike) to properly rejet.....especially if you don't know what's currently in the bike.

....and yes, screw the jet all the way in. ;-)

FWIW, my two bikes have identical jetting, L-mod and silencers; KLX kit, needle on second clip, no washer, 2 turns on the fuel screw and a 142 KH main jet.....jetting is spot on.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts