Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unreal!! This Concours is an amazing motorcycle. Lots of power without being insane throttle wise, very manageable. Get on the KLR now and it's like a little toy compared to the Concours. KLR is much easier bike for general use and around town for sure. Going to take some getting used to switching between the two bikes. Everything is just totally different.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Same opinion with a V-Strom DL1000 comparison. A recent 1,400 mile trip through NorCal and SoOre reminded me of how much fun the KLR can be. Freeway, Townies, Twisties, Smoothies are all good for the KLR.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Yeps !!!

The KLR REALLY stands out after riding a street bike !!!
For a dirtbike, our rides are sluggish n' heavy. After me n' my riding bud trade
for an hour then switch back it takes serious "maturity" to not do wheelies
and hard cornering n' such. It gives me a little reminder what a wonderful
ride I have chosen. It's one of the best hooligan bikes ever built. LOLOL
Ye-Hah baby. I roll over curbs, parking blocks, etc. just cause I can.

Lata,
CheapMarkieeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unreal!! This Concours is an amazing motorcycle. Lots of power without being insane throttle wise, very manageable. Get on the KLR now and it's like a little toy compared to the Concours. KLR is much easier bike for general use and around town for sure. Going to take some getting used to switching between the two bikes. Everything is just totally different.
That's an unfair comparison. No try taking the Concourse off road...:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I regularly swap between an R1150GSA and the KLR...depending upon what's the better tool for the job. Completely different size, handling and behaviour all over....

But the best thing about the KLR is the cost to buy and maintain-even when farkling.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been testing the Concours chill factor! With my thermal riding jacket and just jeans and tennis shoes, 45 degrees isn't bad at all on the Concours. Just road home at 41 degrees 38 wind chill factor and wasn't too bad. With just jeans, I'd say an hour of 40 and I'd be feeling it even with the residual heat from the engine. I have a pair of riding thermal pants and some boots that would make it even better and probably allow me to ride for quite a while down to 35 degrees or more I would imagine. Amazing what a decent fairing does and turn on the heated grips for longer rides. I can't do much better then 50's on the KLR without being uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I was looking pretty hard at the 14, but man that's a lot of dough. There are some already showing up used though. Sounds like a pretty amazing touring bike.
If you look at the improvements / upgrades you might not want an '08-'09.

- The complete fairing is changed for better air flow and cooling.
- The center storage unit was moved to the left side and is lockable.
- The windshield is changed.
- The bike is lowered.
- I believe the seat was redesigned.
- and a few other changes.

I wish it got better gas mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got an 08 Concours that I bought new. I added a bunch of stuff and love it. I am considering getting a 2010 b/c of the changes.. If it had cruise control...I'd do it. A real fun bike.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I've got an 08 Concours that I bought new. I added a bunch of stuff and love it. I am considering getting a 2010 b/c of the changes.. If it had cruise control...I'd do it. A real fun bike.
"I am considering getting a 2010 b/c of the changes.." I am not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The big Connie sport-tourer didn’t miss out on the updates either, with a whole slew of new features that look to be a test bed for future applications on other models in Kawasaki’s lineup. For instance, the new Concours 14 now comes with Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC), the company’s first foray into the TC world. This is augmented by the new ABS system, labeled the “K-ACT Selectable, Sport Oriented Coactive Anti-Lock Brakes”. Using a linked braking setup, the K-ACT ABS system has two modes to choose from: Standard mode that gives the rider more priority in actuating the front and rear brakes, and High Combined mode that give a more pronounced linked braking effect at the beginning of the rear pedal stroke for less aggressive applications. The bodywork has undergone some refinements, with a larger windscreen and improved heat management at the top of the list. Mirrors have been relocated to keep the hard bags from obscuring rear vision, and a boatload of touring amenities have been added, including stepless-adjustable heated grips standard, “economical riding indicator/fuel economy assistance mode” that runs the engine on a leaner fueling map that can result in a 25 percent increase in fuel economy, a relocated electro-locking glove box, tank bag hooks, etc. Suspension settings and the Bridgestone BT021 tires have been redesigned for lighter handling and improved tire wear. Available in Candy Neptune Blue/Flat Super Black, the standard Connie will retail for $14,599, and the ABS model will sell for $15,299.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tomato, The Wanderer did my work for me... The mirrors on the 08-09's are too low. Wasn't an issue when I bought it but now that I started throwing on a tent, mat, and sleeping bag....It hangs over just enough the mirrors are pretty much useless. Iv'e added enough stuff to it that it is the way I like it other than cruise. I just have a throttlemeister. I am a little paranoid when I can't see much behind me though.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Tomato, The Wanderer did my work for me... The mirrors on the 08-09's are too low. Wasn't an issue when I bought it but now that I started throwing on a tent, mat, and sleeping bag....It hangs over just enough the mirrors are pretty much useless. Iv'e added enough stuff to it that it is the way I like it other than cruise. I just have a throttlemeister. I am a little paranoid when I can't see much behind me though.
Are the mirrors improved on the 2010? Definitely agree on not being to see behind me.

What does "b/c" mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tomatocity,
The mirrors are moved up on the 2010s. A lot of owners were complaining they were too low and for some riders, it was hard to see past the side bags. The top part of the bags would obscure the lower field of vision when using the mirrors.

The "b/c?" I was just being lazy.. "because." sorry bout that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have any of you seen the Honda NT700V? It's definitely a smaller tourer, but I'd be curious as to how well it handles with the less weight and smaller pricetag.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Have any of you seen the Honda NT700V? It's definitely a smaller tourer, but I'd be curious as to how well it handles with the less weight and smaller pricetag.
I have been reading about this and wanted to ride one at the IMS. One concern is the comparison with the DN-01.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been reading about this and wanted to ride one at the IMS. One concern is the comparison with the DN-01.
True. I never really knew what to make of the DN-01. It doesn't really look too bad and might be great for some people, it just isn't quite a motorcycle. I think the 700 could be a decent everyday bike though. Small enough to be convenient in the city. Large enough to do decent on the freeway. I guess it fills the opposite role of the KLR. Shaft drive is definitely nice.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
True. I never really knew what to make of the DN-01. It doesn't really look too bad and might be great for some people, it just isn't quite a motorcycle. I think the 700 could be a decent everyday bike though. Small enough to be convenient in the city. Large enough to do decent on the freeway. I guess it fills the opposite role of the KLR. Shaft drive is definitely nice.
Cast wheels, shaft drive, and the 700 (better if it was an 800) were highlites for me. Less maintenance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts