Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A friend's KLR started "burning" during the night
He woke up smelling something burnt, but saw no flames or smoke and left for work
On returning home he found this
Looks like the main fuse box melted/burnt somewhat
The battery is all fine and OK
Seat underside has a hole burnt in it
Tank black from smoke

What could cause something like this?
The fuse box must be replaced and serious wire replacement

I think he was lucky, it could have been worse

·
Administrator
8,241 Posts
Barring any accessory circuits that were not protected by a fuse, the only thing I can think of is a short in the cable that goes from the battery to the starter relay. Everything else is protected by the main fuse.

Other than that, look for a cooked rodent carcass near the incident...

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
That freaks me out, I didn't think about it,but I noticed my hot wire(+) wire on the battery was ran over the frame . The shinny rub mark on the metal brought it to my attention. I'm not sure if this came this way or maybe when the battery was replaced. Any how i moved it Back under the seat frame and the wire didn't feel so tight either. After that pic I think I'll take another look-I'm sorry for your friend

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Checked the wires under the seat today
Some marks where it could rub through with time

Re-routed the positive and placed some rubber foam between frame and wires

Don't want the same to happen to my bike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, I need to go back, I didn't think to look at the box it's self. I did get some heavy plastic wire wrap, and wrapped up a couple of other wear points. One was the starter button loom that pass' through a wire loop near the instrument panel ,right side of. And on my 03, I don't have a fender loop for the speedo cable so I put a little on the cable to help protect from the contact. I pick up the wire wrap at home depot for a couple of $. It's called spiral wrap 1/2" x3-1/2' ....

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Wow, that's scary. And a bummer. Thanks for letting everyone know. Can't do it today, but it's been too long since I've really checked the old bike out. Get so used to it being reliable.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts