Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been riding my '07 KLR for the last few weeks with this setup: KLX needle, middle clip position, 150 main jet (148 stock), 2.75 turns on idle screw, Uni filter, snorkle removed, slide drilled, FMF Q4 silencer. All parts came from Schnitz. I am at 3300' msl, and recently took a trip to Ruidoso, NM where we rode at elevations ranging from 6000' to 9500'.

By most accounts I have read on this site and elsewhere, my bike should be way rich, especially at higher altitudes. However, several plug checks both at home and in NM revealed just a light tan color on the plug. The bike runs fantastic, pulls hard, etc, etc. The only downside I've noticed is mileage in the 37-43 mpg range (my heavy right hand may play a small part there :)). I have checked several times for air/exhaust leaks and have found nothing. Any thoughts?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it? :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ok, I have been riding my '07 KLR for the last few weeks with this setup: KLX needle, middle clip position, 150 main jet (148 stock), 2.75 turns on idle screw, Uni filter, snorkle removed, slide drilled, FMF Q4 silencer. All parts came from Schnitz. I am at 3300' msl, and recently took a trip to Ruidoso, NM where we rode at elevations ranging from 6000' to 9500'.

By most accounts I have read on this site and elsewhere, my bike should be way rich, especially at higher altitudes. However, several plug checks both at home and in NM revealed just a light tan color on the plug. The bike runs fantastic, pulls hard, etc, etc. The only downside I've noticed is mileage in the 37-43 mpg range (my heavy right hand may play a small part there :)). I have checked several times for air/exhaust leaks and have found nothing. Any thoughts?

my .02...

Your gas mileage seems to indicate that your rich. My 08 gets about 50 mpg no matter how I ride it. All I've done to it is the .22 mod stock main jet.

You are getting an average on your plug reading not a specific jet range. Short of an exhaust air fuel sensor the only way to check your mixture is by doing plug chops but they are a hassle to do especially on a KLR.

The conventional wisdom is that the stock bike is lean on the low speed circuits and rich on the main. Try dropping the main a couple of sizes and see if your gas mileage improves and if it still runs good Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just for comparison sake here are my carb settings. KLX needle on 2nd groove from top, 142 mainjet, idle screw at 2.0 turns out, slide drilled 7/64ths, snorkle removed and full L-mod, LEXX exhaust. Base elevation here is 1000ft. My MPG ranges from 42 to 45. 42 is my usual mileage for my commute of 32 highway miles crusing 70-75mph. My motor is now a 685 but I've run this setup on both displacements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts