Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, anyone recognise this balancer setup (early KLX650R?), no separate balancer chain or dohickey, rattle coming from this area and found some chewed up springs and bits of rubber in the filter screen. About 20mm of rotation free play
on balancer which I cant see to be a good thing. Automotive tire Wood Gear Artifact Art

·
Registered
153 Posts
It seems like you need to take the left cover off and check the balancer chain and dohickey to make sure it is all in order. That is where the balancer is driven from and if there is that much movement then something is worn or maybe it just needs adjustment.
Pull the left cover and all will be reveled.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
@banditcilik, @skypupbob, this is a KLX. It has no chain, it has no balancer adjustment lever. It has ONE gear-driven balancer.

@TCollins, I don't know shit from Shinola about KLX, so can't answer. I would suggest you PM @pdwestman.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OOPS ! Yes Tom you are right, no chain on the KLX. The gear that drives it is still on the left side correct? So with that much slop something must be worn, the gear or splines or something. It doesn't seem right that it would have that much play in it and if it's making a rattling noise I doubt it's ingested a snake.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
It's a good thing I already said I don't know shit from Shinola...

I see it now, and there must be a balancer chain, and thus balancer lever, so that the impeller can be driven. The play could be due to an expired spring-loaded balancer sprocket.

@banditcilik, @skypupbob, that stuff I said... Never mind. I was wrong, youse guys were right.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Well, I was looking at the parts fiche (because Shinola) and I was trying, and succeeding, in marrying up the replaceable impeller shaft with the hole in the end of the KLX counterweight. I did that without looking at the OP's picture. I even managed to picture the stuff in the fiche, in my head, as being on the other side of the bike from what was being discussed. All I hadda do was look at the pitcher.

Now I have to go down and say "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been 62 years since my last confession and, in that time,..." and then I have to light a bunch of candles to Our Lady of Foot in Mouth Disease and hope for redemption.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
....don't beat yourself up Tom; I read the OP's post and thought the same thing - he said it was a KLX and that there was no chain......I didn't realize from the get-go that he didn't know the chain is on the other side of the engine and since I don't know exactly what the inside of a KLX looks like. ......so I also don't know Shinola

...just didn't want you to feel alone! :ROFLMAO:

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts