Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting a center stand when I realized the brackets on the frame where the foot peg screws on (on the left side), the threaded holes are stripped.

Going out to look at the bike, the best thing to do will probably be to drill out the holes slightly large and cut new threads in the frame bracket.

I can't use nuts because of the enclosed box. Should a try to fabricate something? Any other suggestions. Also really hoping not to have to tear down the frame...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was looking at getting a center stand when I realized the brackets on the frame where the foot peg screws on (on the left side), the threaded holes are stripped.

Going out to look at the bike, the best thing to do will probably be to drill out the holes slightly large and cut new threads in the frame bracket.

I can't use nuts because of the enclosed box. Should a try to fabricate something? Any other suggestions. Also really hoping not to have to tear down the frame...

There are thin nuts welded on the backside of the bracket/box. It's a fairly common failure to strip the thread because the nuts are shallow. Cutting new threads in the nuts won't solve the problem for long. Try a helicoil and see how that holds that will about double the thread length. Next step would be to open up the brackets and weld some full size nuts in there or weld on a thick plate, drill and tap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are thin nuts welded on the backside of the bracket/box. It's a fairly common failure to strip the thread because the nuts are shallow. Cutting new threads in the nuts won't solve the problem for long. Try a helicoil and see how that holds that will about double the thread length. Next step would be to open up the brackets and weld some full size nuts in there or weld on a thick plate, drill and tap.
Man. I haven't seen a helicoil in 10 years. Great idea!

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
It is a common problem. I won't go on a rant about it, but will say that the cause is from allowing the foot peg bolts to be insufficiently tightened. A friend and I went though the math to figure out what the force to overcome a properly tightened bolt was (we were figuring out the load placed onthe bolts by lowering brackets) and it's huge.

I think the best repair is to use TimeSerts. Properly installed, they are incredibly strong.

Once installed, it's important to make sure that the peg bolts are always properly torqued. Once they are allowed to become a bit loose they will strip. Properly torqued you'd have to weigh about 400 pounds and come down hard enough from completely airborne to fully bottom the suspension in order to damage them.

I said I wouldn't rant, but I did just a bit. I won't rant about installing grade 10 bolts, though...

T

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I agree it is a common problem for those of us who mount their steeds like a horse, myself included. I have repaired a few now. I open up the box and weld in a thicker plate and drill and tap new holes. Then use grade 10 bolts. Problem solved. Although it isn't that easy to do, it is by far the best fix. I also have dropped pegs and hold up very well with this system. I switched mine to this method after seeing a few guys with stripped out bolts. I have also seen guys weld the pegs directly on.....that will come back to bite you in the arse!!
Just saying....I have fixed that issue also...lol.
As stated earlier, the only thing back there is a shallow nut spot welded onto the back of the box. I have seen a few where the nut has let go, resulted in the same BS.

If you can replace the plate with a stronger one.

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
Those grade 10 bolts. Gotta luv 'em. They will never fail. If anything is going to fail, it will be what they are screwed into.

T

·
Registered
376 Posts
Once installed, it's important to make sure that the peg bolts are always properly torqued. Once they are allowed to become a bit loose they will strip. Properly torqued you'd have to weigh about 400 pounds and come down hard enough from completely airborne to fully bottom the suspension in order to damage them.
I swear you told me this once, already, but I'm having a helluva time finding it. What is that torque value for the footpegs?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I know this sounds bad but, if your peg bolts have already started to damage the threads putting them at the specified torque may be more than they can handle. I would add a few drops of the blue and get them tight. If you take it slow you can feel if the threads are about to let go......it will get slightly easier just before they strip.....as I said it sounds bad as a way to describe or tell someone how to tighten them, but IF the threads are already damaged the specified torque may be too much for them. Use some common sense when tightening them even when using the torque wrench. You wouldn't be the first person to say they have ruined something even when using their torque wrench.

Sorry not me......lol

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waiting on my helicoils (ordered them from Amazon).

Now the problem is the existing bolts are stripped so I have to get them out. Going to try twist them out with pliers..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts