Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I raised my bike back to the stock hight today during lunch. I test drove and was very happy to have my suspension back to normal......
I left work bike is shifting fine no problems. I got closer to home and noticed the sift lever getting sloppy. It still shifted through all the gears untill I got about 3 miles from the house. I left from a intersection shifted from first ok then second ok but none of the other gears worked. After leaving the next intersection the trans went into first but will not come out now and is stuck in first gear. Anyone have this problem??????:confused: HELP PLZ

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I know this will sound stupid, but is the shift lever tight?
There's a screw that keeps it snug to the shift shaft, and I think it takes a 12mm wrench to tighten.

If that's tight, well then you have bigger fish to fry...

Check the simple stuff first, and we'll go from there...

What year KLR, by the way? Where you located, also..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
97 San Antonio TX Shifter shaft is engaging the shift lever.
Well, you're outta my league now.. My hunch is something that controls your shift shaft, but I'm just guessing..

I was hoping you'd say it was loose or that it was a 2008, under warranty..

Sorry to hear this, but it sounds like something just came loose, rather than having a critical failure..

I wouldn't mess with it as far as trying to "force" it into gear, or out of gear. Get it to someone who can fix it and get it done..

Bummer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called Extreme power sports and they said that it may be 220.00 dollars min. he would not give me a max price to fix. It may take more parts if its not something simple.

·
Registered
59 Posts
all I can think of is that you have a major tranny issue. from the sounds of it, you may have a return spring on the internals of your tranny gone bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I adress the issue. I am capable enough to tear down this engine. I dont want too tear down this engine. LOL. But it would be nice to install a 685 bog bore kit since I have it apart. The money I will spend taking this to a bike shop makes me sick to my stomach. If I tear this engine apart fix the problem, install a big bore kit..... Ill make out cheeper still rather than taking it to a bike shop!!! :18:

·
Registered
59 Posts
the part I'm thinking, only entails pulling the oil pan off the bike I think, although it is POSSIBLE that you may have to pull a bit more. I cant see it hurting anything to put the big bore kit in though, I mean while its apart, why not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does it still drive in first gear....Or not moving at all......If you have to gut it to fix it....Id try to drag it in gear and force the shift....Maybe when shut off....Also might try and yank it in reverse...Or tap the shift rod or pull on it a tad.........Might just be something hanging up and a slight thump or jar might shift it back in place.......Not sure just throwing something out there....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shifter is not stuck. It moves full swing but no engagement to shift trans through gear. It is not stuck it is just that it cant select any of the gears and its in first gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
from the sounds of it, your shift drum mechanism, or the gear shift mechanism inside your tranny is needing repair. possibly a bent/broken shift fork, or it may just be jammed. I personally wouldnt recommend jarring anything since that could and probably will cause more damage. using care not to break anything is important in this area unless you're either, A made of money, B like replacing lots of parts, or both A and B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts