Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed the rise in popularity for the KLR or DS bikes in general? I have only had my KLR for about 11 months but the seems to be a real surge in the DS market! A day does not go by now that I don't see at leat another DS bike or have somebody pull up next to me at a traffic light and want to talk about how cool my bike is. I had a trucker talk to me at a traffic light on GA 400 on Thursday and then he pulled in to the QT I was getting gas at and we talked for about 1/2 an hour or so about DS bikes!!!

I love this bike!!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, they're cheaper to purchase, use less fuel, cheap to operate and insure, and fun..
They'll go anywhere a bigger bike will go, and go a lot of places a bigger bike can't go..
I've always had a dirt bike and a street bike. I finally bit the bullet and bought an all in one that I actually liked. (I wasn't impressed with my old Honda XL600R and XR650L)

Now I have a small DS bike in the KLR, and a big one in the 1000 V Strom, but I really doubt if the Strom will ever see off road use..

I'm glad I bought mine because it made perfect practical sense..

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I think motorcycles in general are on the rise. Gas prices is one contributing factor. People are going to the d/s bikes so they don't have to polish all the chrome.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Daddyjoe said:
I think motorcycles in general are on the rise. Gas prices is one contributing factor. People are going to the d/s bikes so they don't have to polish all the chrome.
I think another factor is that people who want to ride a bike because of the fun and economy can do so on a Dual Sport and not feel like they're being a greasy biker or a squid. You can also wear a helmet and jacket and not feel out of place like you would on a cruiser..

An average "Joe" :lol: can ride one without feeling like he/she's anything out of the ordinary..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Around my town DS bikes are scarce. I can't figure that one out. :?: :?:
Just a few minutes outside of town are endless miles of one and two lane paved, gravel, dirt, and sand sand roads just waiting to be explored.

Now that I am the official wierdo riding a big honking green dual sport in and around this town, I get lots of inquiries about it. I think there would be more DS bikes around here except most people seem to be awestruck with how high it sits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the chrome thing! Even if I had a chopper, it would not have chrome!!! I like the bare bones look! All motor, all dull, no rear shock, bobber look!!! :twisted: But I would have to keep the KLR for real rides!

One of the guys I work with's dad has an orange county chopper and I took it for a ride a couple months ago and I really could understand why they trailer their bikes every where!!! :D That longgg asss front end would take some time to get used too!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I picked up my 06 KLR two years ago. It was a no brainer once I saw the bike and read the stats. The price sealed the deal. I'm one of the few KLR riders within 15 miles of Springfield. I think that the roads are just to well maintained for people. I have to go at least 40 miles from home to find a trail or road that's a challenge. But man do I love it once I'm there and I get better all the time. Plus having some KLR friends who are good with a wrench and full of great advice always helps. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the bacon guy hit the nail on the head.

For years motorcyclists could be summed up into two large and outspoken culture groups. And the average joe didn't find either group appealing.

There was the harley 'biker' look with the gangland style riding colors. These guys are remembered by the Hells Angels fame. You had to prove that you were on Parole before lifting a chopper.

And then there was the 'crotch rocket' or 'hooligan group' with neon colored leathers. These guys are remembered for blasting by at twice the speed limit, and then stopping in a front wheel stand. You have to be under 25 to buy one and still have a girlfriend who's still in high school. And the girl only wear's tight tops and short shorts when riding on the back.

Also a seperate, yet a smaller group, were the 'giant bike' group which included the Aspencades and the full fairing Harleys. Those were regulated to retired folks. Only those with an AARP card could buy them. And those monsters are too large for the average joe to be interested in.

The DS bikes aren't so intimidating, and you can do everything with one. You can wear leathers or a levis jacket with a skull on the back, it doesn't matter. You still look like an average joe who doesn't know what the heck he's doing. There's no poseing required. :D

God bless the do anything DS bikes. Dorks like me can finally ride with all his camping gear, and be accepted as, well.... a dork on a dirtbike! We don't try to fit in. We're proud of not fitting in.

We call that adventure riding. 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm actually surprised it's not even more popular. Around here I see a few KLR's and the occasional DR, XR, and a KTM or two, but i never see anybody dualsporting, to them a smooth grated dirt road is offroad, and their bikes are way too clean and scratch free. It saddens me to see a dualsport more than a week old without some mud, dings, and scratches.

Just because you ride a dualsport doesn't mean you're dualsporting.

I think it's good that popularity of DS bikes is up, but i think most of em are only seeing pavement. I've never even so much as seen other tire tracks anywhere locally, and there are KLRs around. I meet riders, when milegae comes up, i ask how much is dirt. Most look at me like i just grew a third arm out of my forehead at the mere mention of such a wild and crazy concept as taking a KLR offroad. Dualsporting with a dualsport, who woulda thunk? :roll: Hey, ya gotta have somethin to farkle up though, right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very popular up here as you might imagine! Mostly Beemers up here as there's a fair amount of money as well.

BUT, it's amazing how many of my friends are talkin about gettin a KLR now that've seen mine AND find out how inexpensive they are! From Beemer owners to sportbike buds are expressing great interest. It's funny. Maybe it's the stylish new blk/slvr scheme of the '07 and all the farkles on mine already! :p

I'm lovin it! Mark H.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A lot of it has to do with what you notice. Most people don't pay much attention to other vehicles but will perk up and pay attention when they see another like theirs. You were probably seeing them all along to a certain extent but didn't really start looking till you saw one of "your own kind." Motorcycles riderage has been on a steep rise for about 10 years with the most noticable growth in the cruiser market. Dualsports are slowly gaining popularity in urban areas more than rural areas because sport riders are realizing that city streets are in terrible shape and a bike with a big front wheel and a lot of suspension is actually faster.

When I lived in a large city, I used to tell all the ricers that I could beat them anywhere in the city with my little Ranger truck. I would explain that minor nuisances like pot holes, speed bumps, dips, and curbs (if you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk) had almost no impact on a truck with 15 inches of ground clearance while any of those would stop a slammed Civic dead. Urban sportriders may be a little slow but they're catching on. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I see more DS bikes because I own one now and I look for them alot more when I ride. I really like having mine as so far it has been the most versatile bike I have owned. I find myself more than ever just wanting to go out and ride backroads and explore roads I have never been on before. It is so relaxing just to go out on a nice day and just enjoy the scenery.

Pricing, fuel economy, versatility and lower insurance costs are great reasons to look into a DS bike. Last but not least the overall fun factor to me is higher than any motorcycle I have owned before my DS. I have had cruisers and sportbikes and non of them compare to my cheap KLR.

·
Registered
595 Posts
KLR650, are you reading this thread? A Dual Sport is an economical and sensible way to have a blast and not have to worry about paint scratches and water spots on your chrome!

Just run down and buy one, drive it around for a month and tell us how you like it. If you aren't drawn into the Dark Side from Perma-Grin, then sell it. It will sell, no problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I test rode one the other day

But at the same time I am not a chrome rider, All of my bikes are meant for riding.

Never know I may just end up with one yet, I noticed some mods that were needed badly from the test ride, so if I get one it will go straight into the shop for some attention.

Later

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I know the KLR is listed as a DS bike but it is also one of the best commuter bikes available. $5200, 50 MPG, ease of handle, nimble, sits high to view traffic, inexpensive maintenance, many luggage accessories available, and the list goes on. So if you see a clean one think of the DS as road and commuter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, not to throw a wet blanket on this thread, but I almost never see a DS machine and when I do it is such a shock my jaw drops down and I almost want to chase em down to find out how they got in this Harley infested area. Even the dealers admit they never stock a KLR. They claim there is no market for DSports in Florida. They must be right. They are far and few between. Very far and very few. I will say I see a "few" mx type machines not street legal being trailered from time to time. But a true DS machine...... GHOSTS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
klr650 said:
I test rode one the other day

But at the same time I am not a chrome rider, All of my bikes are meant for riding.

Never know I may just end up with one yet, I noticed some mods that were needed badly from the test ride, so if I get one it will go straight into the shop for some attention.

Later
He just said "straight into the shop". I hope you meant "straight into your garage", otherwise you are gonna get heckled by this "do it yourself" group.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, we're Wrench Turners! :lol:

Well, in all fairness my bike has been neglected because of being too busy to breath these last few months... I wish I could just drop it off at a shop and say "Install these, machine this" But in the end that would take away my knowledge of the bike if and when I need to know trailside!

·
Registered
425 Posts
With a full fab shop and metal shop I am more than capable of DIY, Myself and my parterner are 75% done with our 3rd chopper this year so the klr would be a breeze. Its no shade tree job here.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You know, with all this chopper building hype lately, I've often thought about building a "Real Bike" from scratch. You know, not a show bike... I'd love to see a program that featured a shop that build custom Dual Sports, or Crotch Rockets or anything other than old school choppers. I want to see some real world machining and CNC Fabrication. That would be sweet!! I've often thought about doing something like that when the construction of my shop is completed. But totally on the side for fun of course... I gotta pay the bills first. :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts