Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having crashed my '09KLR after putting about $2K of aftermarket stuff on it,I am trying to make an intelligent decision re: my next purchase...I like the idea of being able to wrench, but I guess I also must admit I do not Mind "slabbing it" 5,000 miles to get somewhere as long as I can take unpaved/dirt/dessert trails when I get to places far from Pennsylvania. I really enjoy the folks on this forum---I am sure I am not the first person to have these thoughts..so any advice would be appreciated.:desismiley1:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Getting a new bike is one of the great joys in life. Deciding WHICH one to get, not so much fun in my book: lots of wailing, hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth as you compare options, capabilities, etc. It's a decision I've only made a few times, but I hate buying a new vehicle and always wondering if I was making the right choice.

I regard your signature line, by the way, as the best I've seen anywhere. How true that can be.

I can offer no profound advice on your choice of a replacement bike, but I wish you luck in finding what you need and want and then enjoying it once you get it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My .02...

Be realistic abut what you want to do with a bike. Are you going to ride anything tougher than a dirt road? Are you going to spend 95% of your seat time on the road?

I was coming off a DRZ 400 when I got my KLR. In my mind I thought I would be spending as much time in the dirt as I did on the DRZ, that's before I realized what a pig the KLR is off-road! (no offense to pigs). I got the KLR because I wanted to do longer road rides and it's good for that better than the DRZ but in retrospect I should have bought a Wee Strom, the bike I want now.

So for me I wouldn't get a 800 Tiger XC I would get the road version. Also I wouldn't get a KTM 990 or similar because I don't want to ride a $12K + bike off-road even though they apparently do fine.

Sorry ramblin...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I went to Inuvik &Alaska(Prudhue bay) I did great on the way there with the DL1000, my riding buddy on the BMW Adventure did better off road once we hit above the 60degree latitude line... But he is much taller and heavier than I. I was using Michelin Annekee's not knobbies.. I am retired and am intrigued about wrenching, as I have a large shop for wood working and metal fabricating..learned a lot about metric stuff just putting on SW MOTECH crash bars and H.T. Teton's....had to break out the tap/die set more than once.:)
I guess I am looking for a KLR ON Steroids..but at my age I think I need to slow down to 60/mph on the highways...I love off road ,there just are not many places to go around here. If I moved to Nevada the choice would be a piece of cake:KLR. I must be content and safe getting where I am going, MY WONDERFUL WIFE GIVES ME A SIX WEEK KITCHEN PASS every summer as she knows this is my passion...money is not too much of an issue as God has blessed us beyond what we could have ever imagined..but I prefer giving it to others rather than myself..wow that sounded horrible..just telling the truth.SO I still do not know what to purchase for doing the Trans- America-Trail which we now have planned for September--do not really want to do it on the DL1000-even with knobbies.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tiger xc is looking like my second bike for me, had a chance to demo one handles really nice! I like the bmw1200 gs but, my nearest dealer is 342 miles away real bummer for me...just my 2cents. Love my klr til her death which I don't see happening anytime soon!
This forms has a bunch of great guys with vast knowledge of the KLR....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I recently did a big ride and on quite a few occasions the beemers couldn't hang with the lighter 650's in the rougher and looser stuff.

If a KLR on roids is what you want, why don't you get one and install a 705cc and do all the free flowing mods. It will pump it up quite abit...

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
If money was no object and I was going to be mostly slabbing it, I think I would go for the BMW :). Don't get me wrong though, I love the KLR to pieces but I also really like the looks and tech behind the BMW's. I can't give an opinion on the Tiger because I know nothing about them. I'd give 'em all a test ride and see which one gives you a wider grin!

Cheers,
Stew

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I seriously kicked around the 800GS, but decided that it wasn't that much better than my good old 02' KLR.. At least not for the money.. The Tiger had my interest until I priced one online..

My only issue with all three is that they're not the most comfortable road bikes that can be taken off road.. So, I kept my 9 year old KLR and bought a very road worthy R1200GS.. Comfy, but still can be taken off road..

I'm not about to tell you what bike to buy.. It's up to your expenses, room, riding desires, etc... Study, and go with your heart..

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the DL gives the long range comfort you need, then the bike of choice needs to perform well on gravel and twin track trails. You have already purchased after market parts for a KLR and I would be tempted to deck one out a new one for dirt and gravel. Some may view the KLR as a pig on the trail but on gravel it actuallly does very well. My buddy and I passed a DR 400 on a fairly challenging and twisty gravel road. Rock solid compared to the DR that looked too light to manage the gravel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For what it is worth the August edition of MCNews has a Tiger XC/ 800GS comparo. Editors gave the nod to the GS off-road and Tiger on. Neither are dirt-bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently did a big ride and on quite a few occasions the beemers couldn't hang with the lighter 650's in the rougher and looser stuff.

If a KLR on roids is what you want, why don't you get one and install a 705cc and do all the free flowing mods. It will pump it up quite abit...

Have you done this? Any info on how much more the larger engine performs in comparison? (top speed, rps, acceleration, etc)

·
Registered
269 Posts
i just got back from 7500km to inuvik on the GS. wasnt really sure i liked it before i left. i was pretty much worried about the $. i still think it is over priced, but i really love this bike now. i put a corbin dual platform saddle on the day before i left. loved it and rode 800km some days no problem. good on the road. little longer and taller ride than my klr. rode a mix of knobbies and streets. first gear is too tall for slow off road and 6th not tall enough for the roads IMO. fuel tank is too small. good clearance. stupid tubed tires. but it was definately better for this trip than the klr. klr feels like a toy now that im home. definately a place for both. not sure if that helps or not. not a tiger, but is a bigger ds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This June, on the Dust 2 Dawson ride, Cycle World had to of their Writers compare the BMW and The Tiger. Both of the guys were incredible riders and fun to watch. They told me that the bikes were pretty even. The issue should be out in August or September. They started in Anchorage, rode north To Dawson and back with a few days on the Denali Highway to test em off-road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a concours 14 and bought a 09 klr just as as second bike. Then after two months I realized I never once rode my concours14. The bike is so fun I couldn't stop riding it 9,000 miles in 5 months. I like the BMW GS 800 and the XC 800 Tiger but then I wouldn't take them off road as much. I love that flat seat on the klr with the sgt upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While visiting the BMW/Triumph dealer in State College PA I asked the salesman his thoughts on the two models you are considering. He had good comments on both with one major exception. The Triumph does not have a rear sub frame. The frame is one piece front to back vs the BMW which does have a sub frame. All bikes that go off road go down at some point. If you wreck the frame on the Triumph the cost to replace could be out of reach. With the BMW, you still may be able to repair the bike. His observations, not mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts