Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Versys is more of a street bike, but given the fact that my KLR will never see a trail, I'm considering a Versys or V-strom. I know there are a few around here that have both. Is the Versys a capable dirt/gravel road bike? Do you find yourself wanting to ride one over the other?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Been there, done that!

I have owned and extensivley ridden a 2003 V-Strom 1000, a 2007 V-Strom 650 and a 2011 Kawasaki Versys. I love the highway ride of the V-Stroms and the canyon carving of the Versys, but overall perfer the KLR for all around riding! Your experience may vary!
Good luck on your search for the ultimate ride!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i am 6'4" and much more comfortable on my klr than I was on my versys. My biggest complaint about the versys was the seat to feet ratio, wind protection, and rough road stiffness. the roads in southern NH are pretty crappy. I have a gen 2 KLR and find it a little more vibby than the versys, a lot less power on the top end but similar down low, torque numbers are pretty close.

I like the klr better because it can be used as a year around bike, the versys can not (tires, wind protection). I can take the klr off road, the versys i can not. the klr is more comfortable and a smoother ride on crappy roads.

the versys is better at keeping up with sport bikes, faster, handles better (klr has better low speed maneuverability), brakes better (but barely), looks better, and is much more stable at highway speeds.

KLR - 55-57 mpgs

Versys - 51-53 mpgs

If I were to buy another 650 twin kawi, i would get the 2012 ninja 650. a little more top end, better mpgs, better wind protection, and more comfortable than the versys.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I was after a Versys but couldn't find a good deal on a used one. Stopped in the stealer one day to look at them and sit on'em. After that I thought "oh what the heck, sit on the KLR for kicks, even though its ugly". Whoa! "This fits me better I think. Maybe I should test ride one". Tried out a friends the next day or so. The rest is history...

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a 6'3" rider, I love my Triumph Tiger 1050. Fits me well with high seat and lowered pegs. Great road bike and tourer. That triple does about 45-50 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
689 Posts
Former KLR owner,long time DL1000 and new DL650. Rode the 1000 to top of Canada and Alaska. Riding the 650 along the Canadian Rockies. Love the 650 for any kind of riding,BUT if I lived in CO or UT I would prefer the KLR. The best bike is actually a GoldWing towing a KLR!!! IMHO.

M

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gang. I really like the KLR and I'm afraid I'd regret it if I sold it for something else. But I can't help looking at the more street oriented bikes like the FZ6, V-strom and the Versys. I just don't want something that I have to fight on the gravel roads.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My first post on this thread stands on it's own.(is that what I meant to say LJ--our resident writer), BUT I have been riding the DL650 on tons of gravel with Anakee2 tires. My only fear was cracking a rim.
BTW you can get wire rims for. V-Strom.

Mark:desismiley1:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first post on this thread stands on it's own.(is that what I meant to say LJ--our resident writer), BUT I have been riding the DL650 on tons of gravel with Anakee2 tires. My only fear was cracking a rim.
BTW you can get wire rims for. V-Strom.

Mark:desismiley1:
Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The local dealer just listed a 09 Versys w/ 3500 miles for $4500. Might have to go take a look at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts