Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need KLR Pannier Suggestions

I'm in the process of getting a set of hardcase panniers for my '87 KLR. Leaning towards Happy Trails Teton set. Figured I'd check with the experts before spending all that money. Two questions I'd appreciate input on:

Recommended manufacturer?

Recommended dimensions? (I'm looking at the 18x15x7 1/2)

All input sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi jackj. Welcome to the fourms. I paid 269+free s&h from happy trails for a rack. ($299 and over, and shipping is free).

Then I paid 25/piece+$8 S&H for 20 mm ammo tanks from an amry/navy surplus store.

Add some paint and hardware (haven't gotten around to mounting mine yet) and the total is $327, shipped UPS ground to your door.

I know they are not the pellicans, but it is worth a look I'd say. They are more durable, but also heavier.

This is what mine look like at the moment:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the happy trails teton panniers. I find them to be excellent. Much more user friendly than a buddies sw motechs. They have been through a few spills no issues. And they are still water tight many miles later. If there ever is an issue the water seal is replaceable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
hello
i when with pelican boxes all around!! water tight plastic(never rust), layed her down slid on one of the side boxes ,,is scratched up=no hole (things are tough)....

so there are couple different side racks/boxes you can get..only big problem is attaching boxes to racks.....

the nice big difference is ,,the fancy $$500+range$ racks have bracket where box-pops off- an or locks on...made for make/model/etc..........

where mine is bolted on to racks w/3new pelican boxes(ebay)an 3new racks,,if don't need three bolts an whole box/rack comes off,,,,,,,so ah think invested.. less than $250..

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
klrmike, where did you grab that "Paved roads are just another example of taxpayer dollars wasted." bumper sticker?

I'm not a big bumpersticker guy, but I want that one.

·
Registered
603 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts