Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is JC from Peru. My year 2014 KLR is consuming oil 1/8 litter every 300 miles. want to know if anyone can recomend the 685cc piston upgrade to solve this problem?.. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
I can only assume that you've always Thoroughly Re-Oiled the foam air filter after cleaning it?
Dust thru the engine (even once) will create an oil burner.

4 ounces per 300 is not too bad, but I'll ask at how fast of average road speed?

Reactions: PeteK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only assume that you've always Thoroughly Re-Oiled the foam air filter after cleaning it?
Dust thru the engine (even once) will create an oil burner.

4 ounces per 300 is not too bad, but I'll ask at how fast of average road speed?
, yes , the air filter is always reoiled after cleaning it. and the oil consumption is between 4 to 6 ounces per 300 miles.
I use my klr mainly in the city,, and on highways I run at 120 Kmt/hr (75 mph).
I have 35k miles already.
I will apreciate comments for the 685 cc piston kit upgrade . does it really reduce the oil burning???
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,777 Posts
I will apreciate comments for the 685 cc piston kit upgrade . does it really reduce the oil burning???
thanks
The over-sized EagleMike & Schnitz Racing JE pistons have a substantially wider oil ring groove with much larger holes in it to evacuate the excess oil thrown off the crankshaft & onto the cylinder wall, especially at elevated rpms.
The EagleMike JE piston has few exclusive improvements above & beyond the Schnitz Racing JE piston, but both work great.

They still need to be installed 100% correctly to be effective. one really needs 4 hands to evenly squeeze the rings to get them started into the cylinder bore. I have a customer that damaged his oil ring rails and proceeded to reassemble anyways. He had to re-do it with a new set of rings.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
My 2006 at 50,000 miles was burning enough oil that I had to top off every 200 miles while running at average speeds of 45 mph. After doing the EM 685 upgrade with EM doing the bore and head refurbish it essentially burns no oil between changes. The oil level drops about 1/4" in 4000 miles. I do also have the PW oil mods done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2006 at 50,000 miles was burning enough oil that I had to top off every 200 miles while running at average speeds of 45 mph. After doing the EM 685 upgrade with EM doing the bore and head refurbish it essentially burns no oil between changes. The oil level drops about 1/4" in 4000 miles. I do also have the PW oil mods done.
That’s great!! I also read recommendations to install the Thermo Bob temp control. it will help to avoid oil burning, but that will do it for a new or refurbished engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts