Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if there are any riders in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? I've seen a few around and wanted to know if they are on here, or have showed up here recently.

Today is Nov 5th 2012 and -7 degrees C, and I had the pleasure of having my coldest ride yet. Looks like I'll ride all week as there isn't rain/snow in the forecast and I prefer a 25 minute KLR ride as opposed to an hour long bus rider to and from work...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm over here now as well. You up for some rides this summer?
Maybe even some spring if this snow ever leaves... Hope to be riding by June at this rate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, I've been riding all last week and hope the snow gets lost and I can ride next week as well. Would love to meet up and ride, I have another friend with a KLR, and another one with a GS500.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll post a few ride invites here for sure this summer. I remember you wanted to come out a few times last year but the stars never aligned. Interested in an Ottawa tech day this spring?

I haven't been out on my bike yet. We lost 99% of the snow today and the snow was trying to squeak out between the clouds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes please on the tech days! I just finished doing my valve shim adjustments, and have a few more items on the list... As always :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hydro line ride - May 4, 2013 Pakenham, Ontario

The weather for Saturday looks great with a high of ~21º. Riders can meet at my place (00:00.00) or I can pick up the group alone the way at the corner of Dwyer Hill Rd and Panmure Rd. (00:15.00) or we can meet at the boat launch at the Blakeney Bridge (00:25.00). I'd like to be home by 15:00 so I'd plan on leaving my place around 12:45.

I would consider this route to be an ideal "KLR Trail". Some technical stuff in short bursts, some water crossing (not much last year..), wide open right-of-way, and not much traffic.

This is not a "single track ride". It's a good intermediate trail (I consider a "beginner trail" to be a fresh gravel country road).

I'm all for getting KLR (any dual sport really...) trail noobs out and off the paved roads, if they so dare, to see if trail riding is for them. It's a chance to field test all those mods and get dirty doing it!

So if you are on the fence about your own ability and you worry that you'll "slow us down" then consider this the invite to come out knowing that we are a group of learners and always welcome a new rider.

Please PM if you are intend to ride with us (only me so far...) so I have some numbers and don't leave someone behind who is running late.

·
Registered
14 Posts
PM answered! Please let me know where you intend to meet up and I'll be sure not to leave before everyone who replied arrives. I'd hate to miss someone by 5 min and ruin their effort to join the ride.

I'll PM over my cell number for any last minute changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ottawa riders

Hi fellow riders. I'm new to Ottawa and have recently bought a KLR.
Was wondering if there's others here that are looking for
Someone to ride with?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, my tires are very street oriented, and got stuck in mud on a snowmobile trail last week, I'm sure things are wetter than last year, so do you think the trails will be more muddy than not? Have you been out on that trail this year yet? Looking forward to it, see you Saturday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, my tires are very street oriented, and got stuck in mud on a snowmobile trail last week, I'm sure things are wetter than last year, so do you think the trails will be more muddy than not? Have you been out on that trail this year yet? Looking forward to it, see you Saturday.
I doubt it will be muddy... The fields are dry enough and starting to get "dusty" dry here... BUT the water that is there (a few small crossings) will be higher than last year. I know there are two big puddles that you might have to be extra careful through but we'll stop and check them out first. I would not worry about the "running water" crossings as the good folks of hydro have put enough crush rock on the bottom that even street tires have no problem.

Which tires? I had Shinko 705s and they were useless in the mud but were capable of handling the rest of the trail with no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even then they will work for this trail. Just be careful going in and out of puddles and pick a line through the deepest part (normally right down the middle).

The weather forecast is looking great for Saturday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saturday

Thanks for the invite to ride Saturday. I'm gonna have to pass on the trial ride this time. I just got the bike, kinda wanna keep it outta the mud and bush for now. I also would like to get use to the bike bodes I take it off roading. I'd be up for some dirt road riding or pavement. If there is a ride taking place, pla let me know I will try to make it out. [email protected] is my email. Thanks. Have a great ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the invite to ride Saturday. I'm gonna have to pass on the trial ride this time. I just got the bike, kinda wanna keep it outta the mud and bush for now. I also would like to get use to the bike bodes I take it off roading. I'd be up for some dirt road riding or pavement. If there is a ride taking place, pla let me know I will try to make it out. [email protected] is my email. Thanks. Have a great ride.
Noted and understood. Just keep an eye on here and if you get the "trail bug" feel free to tag along. I'll post some pics of the ride to tempt you for next time... If you do go trail riding (or any riding where you think it would test your potential) please be sure to not go alone.

I also want to keep my bike out of the mud :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another KLR rider here out of Barrhaven. I know you're all around because I've seen some other KLR's riding around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts