Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

KLR Southwestern Wisconsin Ride (mostly)

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Paper 
#1 ·
A buddy and I were wandering around last weekend, and I popped a few photos. It's just wandering around the Southwestern portion of Wisconsin, with a bounce into Iowa for kicks.
Enjoy..

Mississippi and Kickapoo and Wisconsin

Mississippi

Riding along the river

Tote that barge...

Favorite dual sport stop. Dugaway road, north of Glenhaven

The bridge at Lansing, Iowa

Where you stop before Dugaway Road.

Dome home just outside of Lynxville, WI

Old stone house near Lansing, IA.. (Gravel road hunting is EXCELLENT!!)

$17 for an all Pork/Prime Rib/Seafood buffet on Saturday night..

Wisconsin

Supermax in Boscobel (Don't try to take a pic of your bike near the sign.. You'll have a visitor with a gun very soon.. At least I did)

Kickapoo

Flooding in Gays Mills, WI. The apple festival is gonna suck.. It's like a saturated sponge out there..

Gays Mills flooding...

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, that was last weekend..

This weekend the better half and I are headed over to La Crosse and up through Red Wing and such, on the Wing.

Next weekend I'm headed over for a 4 day weekend on the KLR, and will have brand spankin' new Maxxis 6006's for the trip.. Gonna do some more gravel hunting..

The weekend after that, I meeting a bunch of Wing riders over there for a campout/gathering.. Gotta get that perfect riding weather in when I can..:16a:

More pics to follow!!

#5 ·
Yeah,

You have two seasons over there. 7 months of Winter, and 5 months of road repair.

If you want good food, just West of Red Wing is a great place called Weiderholts. Great Walleye!

Take care,

MB4

#6 ·
Yeah,

You have two seasons over there. 7 months of Winter, and 5 months of road repair.
That's pretty much right on the money..

I ride from salt to salt..

As soon as the first spring rain gets the salt off the roads, I'm riding until the first application of salt during early winter.. Last year I was able to ride unil mid December, with my coldest day of riding to work being 12 degrees out. (yeah, 12 Degrees F, not C)..

Usually, March to December is riding season, and the rest is ice fishing time..:16a:

#8 ·
Let me know how you like the front Maxxis 6006. We are looking at those for our front tires to have some grip in the gravel and dirt.
I changed out the tires tonight (and brake pads)..

The tires feel a bit squishy on the road compared to the almost bald Anakees..

As far as the gravel riding, I'm sure they're going to be a bazillion times better than the bald Anakees felt in loose stuff, so I don't know how much of a review I can give.. I'm sure they're better than even new Anakees, but I'll be doing some riding this weekend on them and give a better review, or as good as I can..

#10 ·
I'm sure the front will feel and wear very similar to the stocker front tire. I think the stock front had a bit deeper tread than the Maxxis does, but I'm sure it's close.

I ordered these when I had an itch to ride up to Michigan's UP and ride offroad up there. Time and job change screwed that up, and since the Anakees were toast and I had some time this weekend, I did the change. The set was only $100 shipped, also..

I'm glad I did because at 12.5K, the front brake pads were very close to not being pads anymore. The rears were better than 50% left, but I changed out both sets. I'm hard on front brakes and easy on rears unless I'm riding off road.

Anyway, I'll pop some photos of the tires before I leave, and after I get back to see how they're wearing.. I have a 4 day weekend and I have way to many places to be during those 4 days, so I have a hunch I'll be tossing 1000+ miles on during 4 days. Hell, last weekend I was only out for 2 and ended up with almost 500 miles and I didn't go anywhere..:confused:

#11 ·
More pics on the Southwestern WI theme..

I was on the Wing, and was riding 2 up, and did the hotel thing, so I didn't have many pics, but here they are..

Breakfast in La Valle, WI
Biscuits and gravy was #1!!!

Gina's Pie are Square in Wilton, WI. Without a doubt, the best piece of pie I've EVER had. Coffee was excellent, too!!!

Couple of dorks headed down the road.

I never do this, but here's a pic from the Wing..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.