Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this forum but I figured I'd run my most recent problem by you for ideas/suggestions.

Bought an "assembled" bike-- '88 frame, early 90's motor. Rode it about 10 miles before handing over the cash. Seemed OK. Trailered it home about 800 miles. Finally got it plated and took it out. It is very reluctant to shift up out of 2nd gear. Like pushing your toe against a brick wall 80% of the time. :Tongue2: A bit more luck from 3 to 4 and to 5. No way to predict when it will shift like butter and when it will just balk. When it "cooperates", the shifting feels entirely normal (I have another old KLR to compare it to).

I've not been able to find anything like this searching the forums.

Thanks.

John

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
There is a little horseshoe shaped spring on the gear selector arm that has been known to fail. That's probably the issue. Part is part #92081-1493, at least since 1984.

You may want to check this video. You have to start somewhere - hopefully without splitting cases.

The video is long. He get's to it at about the 14 minute mark.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Where are you located Old-n-slo?? Maybe take the time to add that to your Profile info and post an in the Introduction area. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may want to check this video. You have to start somewhere - hopefully without splitting cases.
Many thanks for that lead. I watched the video and went to work. Unfortunately, some previous owner re-welded the foot peg bracket and I had interference trying to get the clutch cover off. It took raising the motor, a grinding wheel, a dremel tool, and HOURS to get the cover off. Along the way, I think I butchered the water pump gasket or o-ring (leaks oil from the w/p now).

Anyway, while reefing on the cover, the little spring fell to the floor. I think it may have popped off banging around in the back of the van. I put it back into place. Once I get gaskets, o-rings, etc. delivered, I will try it out on the road. Here in the garage, it seems to be shifting just fine!

Hoping for the best. Would like to leave for Alaska in 3 weeks.:character00201:
--JohnD

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Good to hear that you made some progress although it sounded that it was a little painful. Funny what you find when you need to do something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still waiting on gaskets. I hope this bike can make it to Alaska and back in 3 weeks. That's the intention. Should have had a real plan, though.:50:
John

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Personally I would prefer to ride something I had spent a little more time with. Alaska is a long way to ride something you are not familiar with and that has been cobbled together. Advantage is you likely don't have much into it so if it breaks down you can remove the license plate and fly home. :)

Does your trip plan have you coming through Edmonton, Alberta? Are you going alone?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Personally I would prefer to ride something I had spent a little more time with. Alaska is a long way to ride something you are not familiar with and that has been cobbled together. Advantage is you likely don't have much into it so if it breaks down you can remove the license plate and fly home. :)

Does your trip plan have you coming through Edmonton, Alberta? Are you going alone?
I wasn't going to say anything, but I totally agree with this. If I were headed on a long trip, I would want to be 100% confident in my ride. Just my .02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't disagree with you guys. It will either be a great trip or a nightmare of unintended Murphy-isms.

My ride will actually be my '98 KLR which I have taken across the Trans Lab, the Copper Canyon, and down to Guatemala. Problem started when my adventurous cousin in Lithuania said he'd like to ride to Alaska. So, I went searching for a bike. I should have probably spent more, but I did what I did and I got what I got. Driving to Chicago to pick him up at O'Hare this Saturday. We'll probably head out the first week in July. Oh, ....and he doesn't speak English!

Route looks like some sort of Dakota thing and then up to Calgary, Banff, etc. and then farther north. Any route advice?

JohnD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in town!.. made it Alaska to Prudhoe Bay with my cousin in the saddle. Used a lot of oil but ran great. My trusty '98 KLR unfortunately got almost all the way back but finished the southern British Columbia to Calgary stretch in a Uhaul and from there to Michigan on a trailer. What a 6 weeks it was!:mexican wave:

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts