Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked up my KLR after it's last ride about 3 months ago in the garage.

Went to start it a couple of days ago, nothing, just cranks but won't fire up. Usually A1 reliable, half choke and fires right up.

Checked if it's getting fuel, has fuel in the fuel line when I disconnect it. Removed the tank, spark plug has a healthy spark when cranking.

Compression seems good. 42,000 km.

Anything I missed?

It's Thursday night and I'm meant to be riding Saturday morning?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If there's no other obvious reason, I'd guess that you may have to pull your carb and clean out the jets - I feel your pain, as I'm doing the same thing right now. Check out the instructional videos floating around this site, and there's a few great videos on carb removal, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there's no other obvious reason, I'd guess that you may have to pull your carb and clean out the jets - I feel your pain, as I'm doing the same thing right now. Check out the instructional videos floating around this site, and there's a few great videos on carb removal, too. Good luck!
I'm buying a new plug just in case tomorrow. But yes, stripping the carb is the next thing. I may also try new fuel in case. I've done lot's of carbs over the years so it doesn't phase me, just takes time to do :-{ Hopefully that's all it is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently returned from a deployment and had a similar issue with my Gen 2. Cranked and cranked but wouldn't catch. I gave it a few squirts of starter spray to get it running and got her running in a few tries. I think the carb dries out from sitting and since there is no "prime" position on the stock petcock (only on, off, and res), it does not get enough gas to run smoothly without some intervention...at least that's my assumption. The starter fluid gets it running long enough to open the vacuum valve and get gas into the carb. In any case, once I got it started, it ran fine and started like usual. May be something to try before you start tearing the carb apart. I removed the air filter and sprayed it directly into the carb intake.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Attach hose to carb drain nipple & drain into clean glass jar, leave hose attached & drain screw open. Any crumbs? How does it smell?
With NO 'choke', crank starter motor for 3 seconds, does fuel flow out of carb drain? If not re-check fuel tap handle position & then crank for 5 seconds. Close drain screw.

Still with NO 'choke' & NO throttle, crank starter motor 15 seconds to re-fill the carb & while still cranking pull the 'choke' FULL ON. If both the cold start Enrichener Jet & the pilot jet & passageways are clean enough & the gas is Fresh Enough, it should start. DO NOT Play with the throttle! Adding air via the throttle defeats the cold start jet!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I fitted the new plug even though the old one had a good spark. No change.

I couldn't drain the bowl as the bowl drain screw (which is actually like a jet needle) partially stripped when I tried to undo it with a 3 mm and 1/8" allen key. I had to wait until the carby was off and loosen it with lock jaws.

Pulled the carby and stripped it down. It had never been touched in 42,000 km (and no fuel filter) as I had to undo the diagphram and float bowl screws with an impact driver.

I cleaned it by soaking the jets in petrol and running fine wire through them, finally cleaning it all with compressed air.

Put it back together with fresh fuel and fired up and ran.

Problem solved.

Now to find out about this 'do-hickey spring on the cam' that can break and cause major damage with valves hitting pistons that I read about? I assume there's info on here somewhere?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Removing and re-installing the choke the easy way

Thanks for that, i appreciate that, I'll read and look at the video.

BTW, I watched a good video of a removal of a KLR carby but the guy used long nose pliers to remove and re-install the choke. I made up a right angle spanner in 2 minutes that did the job a whole lot easier out of a spare cheap 12 mm spanner.

Can't post a pic as I haven't posted 15 times yet. I'll post one later when I'm allowed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts