Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My KLR has been running like new and killing its quota of mosquitos every day on the way to work and everywhere else. But I didn't ride it, and left it in my hot garage from Sunday until today, Thursday. This morning it wouldn't start. Tonight, when I got home, it still wouldn't start. Strong battery, turning over fine, kill switch on, half tank of fuel. Just wouldn't hit. Then it started for a couple of seconds and died. Tried some more. After a bit, it started right up and has run fine ever since. What the heck? Vapor lock somehow due to our super-hot temps of late?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You might not be far off with Vapor lock…. Something also makes me think Kick stand kill switch….I bet you moved the bike around then it started…. Moving the kick stand up and down?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the first thing I tried.

Up and down with the kickstand didn't help me. Plus that brief start means to me that I had fuel starvation somehow.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I could be wrong, but in my experience… when it’s a fuel issue the motor will kinda kick, or will spuder and die…. When you get nothing at all, I lean more towards no spark.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It sounds like vapor lock to me. When I first started riding to work when the weather got hot it would start and make it about a mile down the road then die. I finall figured out that I had the right side of the bike facing south so the sun was superheating the gas in the carb which then overloaded the recovery canister. I would have to wait several minutes then start it using full throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts