Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here and am new to owning owning a klr. I recently purchased a 1995 KLR250 with 7800 miles on it. I took the gas tank off and cleaned it, took the carb off and rebuilt it with a kit, put a brand new battery and spark plug in it, took the ignition out and cleaned the contacts so it would register that it was on and I finally got it to fire up yesterday! One problem however, I have run into an issue were from neutral while running if I try to shift into first gear with the clutch lever depressed completely it bogs the engine down and stalls immediately almost, unless I quickly switch to neutral and Rev the engine to stabilize rpm's. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Clutch lever should have the cable adjusted to allow 1/16th to 1/8th inch of gap between the lever and the bracket, with only a finger tip pull on the lever.

Then we need to educate the operator.
Most motorcycles have a 'wet clutch'. As in cooled by the engine oil! Cold oil causes clutch drag! Which is 'Normal'!

Start engine. Allow to warm-up. When engine can idle normally with-out choke, it is warm enough.

Squeeze the clutch lever and HOLD IT! Rev the engine 3 times! Allow the engine to return to normal idle speed.
Gently place the transmission into gear. YOU are Still Holding that clutch lever 'to the bar', Correct?

Go ride your bike. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, pdwestman is exactly right. A KLR that's sat for a while will have the clutch plates wanting to stick together until they get used a bit. Let it warm up well and then just ride it.

Have fun!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts