Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to document information as I work with the two KLR650 and one KLR600 lower ends. No knowing what someone will want to know so trying to add information which haven't seen done.

KLR650-
Rear balancer weight- 4.894 kg
Rear balancer shaft- 1.293 kg
Front left balancer weight- 4.320 kg
Front right balancer weight- 2.476 kg
I haven't measured radius, estimated C of G or other but may try to do that as go along.

A member, on KLR650 Owners Facebook group, mentioned that he knife edged balancer weights on a previous 600 and had just done the ones on a 650. I'm hoping that he will weigh the 650 ones before assembly. He didn't notice a difference in vibration.

It would be interesting to have a dyno, intake vacuum or MPG measure before and after to see if any power increase is evident.

If anyone wants any info from the guts of a 600 or 650, I have one of the former coming and two of the latter apart at the moment.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Norm.....this is where we meet I think ....????
IF, you are after a little from the lower end look into a lighter 1987 rotor, 10% lighter and instantly awakens the bike. I tried one and it was far quicker, but it destroyed the lugging power the engine develops. You are forced to use the gears and not be able to simply wind on the wrist when over taking etc.... As you know I have been ripping my hair out over my lower end for the past 2 weeks or so......but i have solved the issue.....installed a 1 thou. shim instead of a hald thou shim....lol. Problem solved and now waiting for sane menatl strength to install all the bits where they live and do it in an efficent way......lol.
Maybe tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts